Things that have changed my life as a very busy college student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

I would consider myself a very busy individual. I am enrolled full-time at San Jose State University, so 15 to 16 units per semester, and I currently have three jobs: 

Trader Joe’s, where I work as a cashier, San Jose State Athletics, and the San Jose Giants where I work as a camera operator. On top of that, I also write for Her Campus at SJSU. This just means that any way I can do something a little faster, or more efficiently is a necessity to maintaining my sanity. 

Here are some of my must-haves for any college student who has a busy schedule, or just wants to get things done a little quicker. 

1. An automatic hair curler

The link above is the one I purchased last year, and it is still going strong. Personally, I can’t curl my hair with an actual curling iron, or with a straightening iron like some other talented individuals, so I did some research and found this. 

With a push of a button, it wraps my hair around the wand for me, and makes the cutest little ding sound when it is done! Instead of the almost hour, it took me to attempt to curl my hair before, it now only takes 25-30 minutes. Now I can look cute in half the time, and not burn my fingers in the process.

1. Toaster oven or air fryer

Personally, I have been using a toaster oven, but have heard very good things about the air fryer. This makes it easy to cook things that normally need an oven, without the hassle of waiting for an oven to preheat. While it can’t cook everything, it covers almost all the basics. 

1. Steamer

I’m not the greatest at folding or hanging up my laundry… Just ask my mother, so wrinkles are a fairly common thing in my wardrobe. A steamer works great for getting those out before you walk out the door. Nobody has time to iron their shirts and pants before they leave, and if you do, I want to be you when I grow up. 

1. Food storage containers

Containers with lids are a necessity for a busy college student. Not only are leftovers inevitable when you’re cooking for yourself, but they are also great for taking a quick meal on the go. 

If you have your life together and meal prep, these containers work great. Personally, when I cook anything, I put it in the storage container, eat what I want, and then put a lid on it when I’m done. It reduces dishes and makes cleaning up way easier.  

1. Water bottle with straw lid

I usually find myself forgetting to drink water during the day while I go about my activities. This changed when I got a water bottle with a straw lid.

Not only does the straw make drinking water on the go super easy, but the hydro flask I have fits nicely in any of my bags, and keeps my water cold! It’s good for the environment, and for your busy schedule.

While not all of these items are a necessity for being a successful college student with a busy schedule, they definitely help! Good luck this upcoming school year!

Do you have any must-haves for keeping up with a busy schedule? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU