david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ultimate List of Horror Movie Must-Sees!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

This year’s Halloween season is going to be like no other, so calling all adrenaline junkies and horror movie fanatics! With all the spooky vibes and chilly nights this fall, it’s only appropriate to prepare our psyches with the blood rushing and eye-shutting cinema experiences of horror movies. These are the ultimate movies to squeeze into your schedule while counting down the days to October 31st. 

1. Hereditary (2018)

This shocking movie follows a family as they grieve for the recent loss of their family matriarch and experience disturbing occurrences and unusual events while unintentionally uncovering pieces of their ancestry. This film perfectly combines beautiful cinematography with its truly gruesome storyline, which brings out the true horror of the Graham family’s experiences. It’s a deeply psychological film that will shake you to the core. 

1. Coraline (2009)

This thriller is about a young girl who discovers a parallel universe and the unsettling secrets that it holds. Although this movie may be initially viewed as a children’s claymation film, Coraline is nothing short of terrifying. With its whimsical story and appealing aesthetic, this film does not get as much praise it deserves for serving shivers and creepiness to the audience. 

1. Fear Street: Trilogy (2021)

Based on the books written by R.L. Stine, this movie trilogy tells the story of a group of kids working to resolve a witch’s curse that plagues their town. Each movie takes place in its own time era and different characters, which all come together in harmony to uncover the truth behind a wicked curse. These are great movies that have plot lines and twists that will surely keep you and your friends on your toes while watching.

1. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

This film follows the disturbing adventures of a group of young teens who unknowingly release the terrifying tales of an unfortunate soul who met their end in their little town. With a series of truly horrifying events that occur throughout the movie, this film will have you hiding under the blankets anxiously awaiting the next scene. 

1. #ALIVE (2020)

Can’t end this list without at least one zombie movie! This Korean thriller shows the struggles of a survivor during a rapidly spread virus throughout the nation. This movie differentiates itself from other zombie films because it has a unique take on the setting in which it all takes place: a singular apartment complex. As the main characters go about their tightly-spaced fight for life, you can expect jump scares and unbelievable special effects makeup!

Tell us what horror movies you’ll be watching by tagging us on Instagram, @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi! I'm Allyson :) A second year student at SJSU majoring in Business Human Resources.