The SJSU Guide to Joining a Student Organization This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The start of a new school year creates an opportunity for students to branch out and experience new opportunities. Many students share the common goal to get the most out of their college experience. At San Jose State University, we’re offered many opportunities through our colleges, student organizations, and local companies in Silicon Valley. 

While SJSU has a wide range of student organizations, for many incoming students, it can be daunting to search through the many organizations on the SAMMY app to find the right fit. Over the past two years, the coronavirus pandemic impacted many student organizations, creating many inactive organizations. So, I asked the student leaders of SJSU to direct interested students to their active student organizations. Read below to learn more about student organizations that are recruiting this school year.

BridgeSJSU 

BridgeSJSU is the SJSU chapter of BridgeUSA. It is a nonprofit, multipartisan organization that started at SJSU last year. Bridge is located in over fifty universities in the nation. Its mission is to create a constructive dialogue on college campuses by bridging students of opposing views to create solution-oriented politics. BridgeSJSU is open to all students of all years and majors. 

BridgeSJSU hosts biweekly discussions on various social and political topics on campus. The student organization directs all interested students to their Linktr.ee to find links to their member interest form, Discord, Instagram, and more.

RU2tAwuHPYv1P RYgGLlmghp3J BOOVVP7WV6m1Vaaenz8lnZC6w DBSgvv4f4cTcmppUdyf2GLb88qZDZHdZPlqiCYWF4brlulzsE9myqkNlUvDv7uc9NkvTxfi3pIIaF1VTTRIAUsG6mw VSjVf60

Photo featuring BridgeUSA students at the 2022 DC summit. Photo from @bridgesjsu.

College Awareness Network (CAN)

College Awareness Network (CAN) aims for college students to promote a college-going culture for 3rd-8th graders through innovative and interactive tours. CAN is a combination of a student-led campaign and a student organization that has three demands for SJSU. The hope is that CAN eventually become a program implemented at and funded by SJSU. This means that any work involved throughout the program is working towards the establishment of this program. This involves working with students of those ages in a workshop format, providing interactive tours, recruiting, fundraising, etc. CAN has had successful tours in 2019 and Spring 2022 but it is still fairly new which means that all new ideas are welcome.

To get involved with CAN, DM them @cansjsu or email them at cansjsu@gmail.com for more information

wDv2ChuS8klpEp4CUjKyos2gayWlMezLUDNnBuAIGw uoawxAJAlGEKoHeQ9 V5LkXLCOtYbptzhuOAdCDXRjtKF9IQd16Z7lEL4PFgej7ZLscDAvC1owdrUUiLCsW3gdBMXWLtveqEJSAw cgK9CF8

Photo including CAN members at a student workshop. Photo from @cansjsu.

Black Male Collective

The mission of the Black Male Collective is to build a platform that advocates for the needs and desires of black male students on the SJSU campus. The Black Male Collective addresses issues in the black community, especially in the greater San Jose area. The student organization executes this mission statement by hosting events related to issues for black male students or the black community in the greater San Jose Area. 

The Black Male Collective will be giving no spoilers! Interested students are directed to @sjsu_bmc and the SAMMY app. 

Anti Club Theatre Club

The official SJSU Theatre Club is dedicated to getting all majors and experience levels involved in theatre arts. They encourage participation in acting, singing, technical work, decorating, costumes, event planning, and so much more.

To get involved with the Anti Club Theatre club, join their mailing list, Discord follow them on Instagram (@anticlubtheatreclub), and view their Linktree.

Planned Parenthood Generation Action SJSU

Planned Parenthood Generation consists of students advocating and educating for the reproductive sexual justice movement through workshops, speaker series, and other fun activities.

It is a fairly new student organization so the student leaders of the organization ask that incoming members please be patient as they navigate how to best organize this club. However, all new ideas are welcome and encourage members to get involved. The organization is laid-back and stress-free with no set hours of involvement.

Interested students are directed to @ppgenactionsjsu. Their Fall 2022 Member Interest form is located in their bio. However, students can also email at ppgenactionsjsu408@gmail.com.

BLKd2hfA9h0KuMuvu6O W4jnOMYqVPSxg tYDlbpCnde6ZSufFHbZCnLsy Dh6jK ybWky3DMnyd42ggAH36EU4kMsnLA2s3cxHeOOia1va1WKTvlY AVwe8atumW oHL79dBuobJ3dw17p48kH2rUk

Photo featuring members at the Women’s March. Photo from @ppgenactionsjsu.

Alpha Kappa Psi – Omega Phi

Alpha Kappa Psi is a Professional Co-ed Business Fraternity founded in 1904 with the purpose of developing its members into principled business leaders. The professional fraternity offers a plethora of opportunities and experiences; both in social and professional aspects. 

Interested students are directed to @sjsuakpsi and Facebook.

WAPP SJSU

WAPP SJSU’s mission is to get San Jose State University to provide free period products in all restrooms on campus.

The student organization is looking for members of all genders to join the cause and support them in making SJSU a more inclusive campus for menstruators.

To get involved, visit @sjsuwapp.

SCGV0TGFfOlwECRXeb 9AAA8vQoMGi o7BLtHoGHeWpW f0QGHMooMpFCWoteGa8vrlzIHI82RdCwGz8VXem

Photo featuring members after collecting 1,500 pads, tampons & panty liners from their period drive. Photo from @wapp.sjsu.

Joining a student organization is a great opportunity to learn valuable skills and create a network of students who share your values. San Jose State offers diverse student organizations, and many are eager to onboard new students.

Tell us what your plans are for this school year @HerCampusSJSU!

Hello! My name is Sabrina and I am a senior at San Jose State University. I'm a pre-law student majoring in political science with a minor in economics.