Wellness > Health

The Dreaded (Yet Important) Pap Smear

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Pap smear. Those dreaded two words tend to haunt women once they turn 21. However, this test is extremely important for women’s health.

What is a Pap smear? A Pap smear is a screening test that detects abnormal changes in the cells of the cervix, which can show whether or not there are any early signs of cervical cancer or any other abnormalities.

So, what happens during a Pap smear? During this procedure, you will be undressed from the waist down and lie on an exam table with your feet in the stirrups. Your doctor will insert a speculum into your vagina to spread the walls of the vagina apart to show the cervix. Afterward, they will use a swab or brush to gently remove the cells from the cervix and the back of the vagina and place them in a vial of liquid or smear the cells on a glass microscope slide.

Why is the Pap smear important? This exam is important because it can identify the early signs of cervical cancer, which is caused by persistent infection with high-risk strains of HPV (human papillomavirus). By having regular Pap smears, it can help identify any abnormal cervical cells and any other infections. For women who have had treatment for cervical abnormalities or cervical cancer, a Pap smear helps monitor the treatment’s effectiveness.

How often should women get a pap smear done? Depending on your age and medical history, the frequency can vary. However, the guidelines generally recommend that women should get their first Pap smear at 21 and get them done every three years.

Having these sensitive procedures can be nerve-wracking, especially for the first time. If the thought of a Pap smear makes you nervous or uncomfortable, it’s important to choose a physician you can trust and communicate how you feel to them. It may also help to educate yourself about the procedure to know what to expect and why you are having it. Even bringing a friend or someone you care about to your appointment for emotional support can help alleviate nervousness from a vulnerable experience.

You could request the smallest speculum or a plastic speculum during the appointment to feel more comfortable. You could also request that the speculum be warmed before insertion so it feels less jarring. Some providers will allow patients to insert the speculum themselves, and the provider will take over once it is inside. Other ways to help alleviate the stress and discomfort are doing breathing exercises or listening to music when the exam is happening. You can also talk with your provider during the exam to distract yourself from the nerves.

What strategies do you use to alleviate stress during medical appointments? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi everyone! My name is Harini and I’m a second year majoring in Public Health and I'm part of the writer's team at SJSU. I started to enjoy writing when I started getting into the habit of bullet journaling and I eventually grew to enjoy to write about topics that interest me. Some topics that I enjoy writing about is wellness, physical/mental health, and relationships.