Desk setup?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk setup?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Style > Decor

Spice Up Your Dorm Using Feng Shui

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

We’ve all heard of Feng Shui, but let’s face it: how many of us know what is it? Well, fear no more because I’m here to let you in on the secret of what Feng Shui is and the benefits of practicing it. 

Feng Shui is an ancient art and science originating in China which essentially claims to use energy forces to harmonize people with their environment. To practice the art of Feng Shui means to use colors to promote certain aspects of life you wish to manifest. Here’s a quick guide to 8 colors to consider using when decorating!

1.    Orange 

Orange is an uplifting color that promotes happiness. If you’re looking for good vibes – orange is your color! You can try hanging up an orange poster, or you can even try painting your own decor by following a tutorial like this!

2.    Yellow and Gold 

Yellow and gold tones symbolize power and are said to stimulate health, patience, and wisdom. You can never go wrong with yellow flowers (sunflowers, roses, tulips, etc.) in a simple mason jar or something like this! If you can’t spring for fresh flowers every week -like me- a good alternative would be fake (yellow) flowers in a mason jar or glass vase, and replace the water with marbles. 

3.    Pink 

Pink represents love, romance and partnership. If you want to enhance your love life, whether it be the love with your significant other or even your friends, go for pink hues! You can try decorating with pink decorative pillows that match the style/theme of your room!

4.    Green 

Green represents growth and new beginnings, as well as healing and freshness. Nothing says green like houseplants! They’re super easy to take care of and some even purify the air, plus there’s no way to manifest growth like seeing it happen before your eyes. Houseplants like this are perfect for sitting on your desk and working their air purifying magic. Some easy to take care of houseplants are: snake plants, and a favorite go-to for all the girls who lack a green thumb are succulents!   

5.    Blue-Greens

Blue-Greens represents youth, new beginnings, and inspires confidence. You can try putting up a blue-green poster and surrounding it with your favorite selfies and pictures to put your own spin on it. Here’s a cute idea!

6.    Deeper Blues

Deeper blues influence wisdom and introspection. If you’re looking to dig a little deeper in a spiritual sense, definitely consider deeper blues to help spark introspection and influence wisdom. Throw pillows are always the way to go when you want to spice up your room and maybe don’t have the budget to do a full makeover. Personally, I incorporate a lot of deep blues when styling my room and this is one of my favorite pillows! (This pillow works as a double win because not only does it incorporate deep blues, but it is also believed that the third eye is used for protection against negative energy and bad vibes.) Here is another cute idea, but make sure to pick your decor according to your style.

7.    Purple 

Purple inspires spirituality, adventure, and prosperity. Purple is the color you want to go for if you want to embrace your free spirit. You can try hanging up purple fairy lights. Fairy lights are a cute and easy way to completely transform the look of your room!

8.    White 

White cultivates clarity, precision, and communication. So for all the ladies looking to become a stronger communicator that embodies precision and clarity, white is the color you’re looking for. You can go simple with white comforter like this one or even some cute white decorative fluffy pillows! 

Remember that Feng Shui also incorporates other aspects, if you want more detailed tips I suggest checking out this article and this one. But as far as colors go, I hope you enjoyed a quick guide to 8 of them! You can centralize the theme of your room based on one color or even pick a few to focus on. The only rules to Feng Shui (if you can even call this a rule) is to let your intuition guide you! It’s also important to keep in mind that Feng Shui is practiced in many different ways and there’s no “one way”. In other words, what works for one person may or may not for the next, so just remember to let that little voice in the back of your mind guide you!  

Hi I’m Loriana Jose! I’m an aspiring travel journalist, amateur photographer, and poet. I'm currently enrolled at San Jose State University, and will be graduating in 2023. I write on my free time because I enjoy it and I hope to become a professional writer!
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah