This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Sitcoms are pretty much the backbone of the television world. A sitcom is a situation comedy that only lasts around thirty minutes. First introduced in the 1940s, the older sitcoms such as I Love Lucy have been consistently popular. But, the hype around thirty-minute situations really rose in the 1960s. From That ‘70s Show to the Emmy award-winning Schitt’s Creek, sitcoms are still popular as ever.

Now that the history lesson is over, let’s talk about the best sitcoms of all time.

1. Seinfeld

Whether your parents watched it or you discovered it on your own, it’s easily the highest rated on any list. It’s also the top-grossing, coming in at 2.7 billion dollars as of 2010. Seinfeld, “a show about nothing”, changed the way sitcoms were written. It has a female protagonist, Elaine, who can be described as the most influential female in sitcoms. Funny women existed on TV before Elaine, but she was the first to be unapologetic about her quirks. Her story was unique. The plot didn’t solely revolve around her love life, but also her hysterical jobs and experiences as a woman making her way through life. It’s the most successful sitcom in history, and if that doesn’t convince you to watch it, I don’t know what will.

2. Friends

Someone could say “we were on a break!” or “PIVOT!!!” and you would know exactly what they were referencing. Usually, when sitcoms come up in a conversation, the front runner of the conversation is the classic Friends. Although the show ran from 1994 to 2006, it remains extremely popular and a cult-favorite to this day. Whatever your opinions on Joey, Chandler, Monica, Rachel and Ross are, it’s undeniable that the show had a pretty large impact on pop culture. The show is arguably overrated, but I would describe it as a comfort show. And, it was popular for good reason. Rachel had her signature hair that everyone wanted, and Monica and Chandler had the relationship everyone swooned over. Not to mention, these characters are often fashion inspiration thanks to the resurgence of the 90s style. If someone says Friends is their favorite show, don’t roll your eyes and scoff. Don’t knock it till you try it!

3. That ‘70s Show

The iconic rotation circle that produced the line “It’s a car that runs on water, man!” HAS to be talked about. That ‘70s Show definitely had an impact on pop culture and sitcom history. Ignoring all of the minor plot holes, the sitcom has an adorable storyline about a group of high school kids making their way through life in Wisconsin. That ‘70s Show’s fashion and aesthetics have made a recent comeback as well, with outfits and color schemes going back in time to the groove of the 70s.

4. The Office

Speaking my own controversial yet brave opinion, I’m not a fan of the Office. But what does that matter? This is an objective article about the best sitcoms, and the best of anything is simply one’s own self-assertive definition. I can appreciate its comedic value and that it is what brings joy to most peoples’ lives. It’s got a spot on the list of the best. The stupid humor is what captivates people into watching. The office setting makes the show very relatable, and the show finds humor in the boring desk job.

5. Community

Next up on our list is a show called Community. It’s a sitcom like no other about a group that finds each other while working their way through community college. Community shows that a pit stop like community college in someone’s life could change it forever. From paintball war episodes to dramatic “mockumentaries” about pillow forts, this show captures the experience of community college in the funniest way. With no laugh track, the show just speaks for itself, earning its place on the list.

6. Schitt’s Creek

Breaking the Emmy record in 2020 with the most wins for a single season with nine total wins, Schitt’s Creek pulls up the rear on the list of the best. It’s similar to Community and has charming scenes that don’t make you cringe. Catherine O’Hara has a one of a kind accent and puts on this completely mesmerizing performance. As the show goes on, there is a disconnection from real life and you could really jump into the world, sort of like daydreaming.

That’s what I’d describe a sitcom as, a daydream. It’s like reality, but with elements made for TV that are mixed in, making it the best genre of television entertainment. As for my personal favorite sitcom, Seinfeld takes the win with its historic uniquity of Elaine’s character combined with its intriguing comedy. 

Whatever your favorite sitcom might be, sitcoms are a special genre of television and have been an American favorite for many years. So dream on, sitcom television for the win! Share your favorite sitcom with us by tagging us on Instagram or Twitter @HerCampusSJSU.

I graduated from Palomar College with an associate's degree in Journalism. I love entertainment journalism. I hope to get into writing about the arts, whether it be television, movies, or broadway. In my free time, I play video games and write fictional characters for imaginary cartoons.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah