This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Taking care of and getting to know your skin can be a big key to boosting your self-confidence and self-image. A skincare routine can be achieved by putting aside a few minutes in the beginning and the end of each day to treat your skin’s health and appearance. Here are the steps to finding your perfect skincare routine!

1. Identify Your Skin Type

In order to know how to meet your skin’s needs, it’s important to know your skin type. Your skin type will also determine what kind of products you need to treat it. There are four basic skin types: Dry, Oily, Combination, and Normal skin.

• Dry: feels tight, stripped, flaky, smaller pores
  • Oily: noticeable shininess, bigger pores
  • Combination: some spots feel tight while other spots are shiny (especially in the t-zone)
  • Normal: not tight nor shiny

2. Educate Yourself on Effective and Safe Skincare Products

Once you have identified your skin type, you can then purchase products that will suit your skin type best. A good resource to help educate you on effective products and safe ingredients is the Youtuber, Hyram! I found Hyram off of his Tik-Tok account (skincarebyhyram), and he is a skin specialist that utilizes his social media platforms to provide his viewers with helpful advice for skincare. I was able to perfect my own skincare routine through Hyram, so I highly recommend watching his content!

3. Skincare Tips

Keep in mind that skin problems are completely normal and imperfections should be embraced! There are so many factors that can cause skin issues like hormones, stress, weather, etc., so never be too hard on yourself if your skin isn’t perfectly clear. It is most important to make sure your skin is healthy and taken care of over how it appears physically.

3. Some tips that may help:

Sunscreen!

• Wear every day (not just days that are sunny) and reapply every 2-3 hours
  • Protects your skin from harmful UV rays
  • Prevents premature skin-aging
  • Lowers risk of skin conditions such as Skin Cancer
  • Helps even skin tone

Sleep!

• Try to get enough sleep (7-8 hours) every night
  • The body produces more collagen = reducing fine lines
  • Stress decreases = skin repairs daytime damage
  • More human growth hormone is released = strengthening skin

Remove Makeup Before Sleep!

• If you wear makeup, always remove your makeup gently at nighttime
  • Avoid makeup remover wipes as they can be too harsh on your skin
  • Swap out remover wipes with a more gentle cleansing method like makeup removing oil or micellar water

Start Out With A Simple Cleansing Routine

• Mornings: cleanser, face lotion, sunscreen
  • Daytime: reapply sunscreen
  • Nighttime: makeup removing oil (if needed), cleanser, face lotion

If you use any of these tips, post on your Instagram and tag us! @hercampussjsu

Hi! My name is Gabrielle, but I like to go by Gabby. I am a 2nd year at San Jose State University majoring in Design Studies. I love plant shopping, picnics, and selling clothes on my Depop @gabriellealexi!
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah