San Jose State University: Campus Hacks for Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

1.    Food

•    Dining Commons: Switch meal plan to 7 swipes & $1,500 in dining dollars

•    Allows you to purchase a variety of food items from the student union, village market, etc.

•    Purchase the reusable to go box!

•    Take food to go & don’t waste time waiting around for friends to be available in order to eat. 

•    Ginger Market 

•    Poke

•    Sushi

•    Banh Mi

•    Starbucks

•    Breakfast sandwiches & burritos 

•    Pastries

•    Paseo Fresh:  One of the healthier spots you will find on campus and in the student union!

•    Sandwiches

•    Salads

•    Pastries

•    Starbucks

•    Soup

•    Snacks

•    Close Off-Campus Restaurants & Cafe’s 

•    Sonia’s Kitchen $ (cash only) – burgers & sandwiches 

•    San Carlos Italian Pizza $ – pizza, pasta, and salad  

•    Sammy G’s $$ – pizza 

•    Gong Cha $ – bubble tea shop 

•    Philz Coffee $ – coffee shop 

•    Spartan Taco Truck $ (cash only) – open from 10pm to 2am 

•    Cali Spartan Mexican Kitchen $ – comfort food 

2.    Entertainment

•    Tower Lawn: picnic, paint, and hammock (great midday or weekend activity)

•    Bowling & Billiards: pool tables, bowling alley, & snack bar (student discount w/ tower ID) 

•    Events Center: concerts and shows

•    Hammer Theatre: school productions (student discount)

•    San Jose Sharks: student discount tickets 

•    Football, soccer, water polo, and basketball games 

3.    Dorms

•    Roommates: You may not get the roommate you request (no one is sure why).  

•    The study lounge is usually full and loaded (not a good space if there are others in there and you want to get work done). 

•    RA’s can be very helpful if you need information or advice. 

4.    Friends

•    The first two weeks of school are crucial! Get out of your comfort zone and go to all of the welcome-week activities and events. 

•    Join clubs, sports teams, and even a sorority on campus if you are looking to make friends and meet people with similar interests. 

•    Make different groups of friends and find the ones you truly connect with. 

•    People come and go in your life, and it’s easy to move on because you haven’t known them for that long.  

5.    School 

•    Don’t spend too much time on one assignment! 

•    If you are spending 6 hours a day on homework, you must find a way to balance your work load. 

•    If you can’t focus in your room, take a trip to MLK Library (open 24 hours to students). 

•    Rent your books on amazon or from the bookstore; it’s cheaper! 

•    Your calendar and reminder app will become your best friend (keep track of everything, so it doesn’t become overwhelming).

6.    Perks

•    Amazon Prime is free for the first 6 months and half off after that (using your school email)

•    Spotify Premium $4.99/month

•    Check out tech equipment from MLK library (cameras, laptops, chargers, etc.)   

Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah