Quarantine Changed How I Interact and Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Quarantine has affected how we view normal life. We all went about our daily lives, whether it be school or work, with breaks in between to do whatever we want.

While I can’t say we have returned to normality or what the previous form of “a normal life” was, staying in all day has changed how I interacted with things, especially relationships and work.

I’m not saying that I’m a social butterfly and like going out every weekend; I enjoy my personal space as much as the next person. However, I’ve definitely gotten more awkward when talking in person.

It’s hard for me to find a starting ground for a conversation, even if it’s with one of my close friends. I’ve spent so much time texting and calling at home instead of just being face to face that I don’t know where to begin when it comes to real life. 

Approaching new people is strange too. When I started college, I was excited to meet new people and have new friends. Considering that same year was when everyone went under lockdown and everything was put on Zoom; my original plan quickly went down the drain.

Sure, I could’ve connected with people from Zoom, but no one really likes communicating over Zoom.

Restrictions have been lifted but I still feel a bit disconnected from everything. The world feels like it’s going around without me, and I’m going to be left in the dust in some way or another. I don’t feel like I’m doing enough work and that I should be doing more.

My work ethic also had a bit of a downhill spiral whilst in quarantine. I wouldn’t say I was a workhorse before the pandemic hit, but I wasn’t exactly going out of my way to get the highest grades. When I got stuck at home, my productivity just plummeted. 

I function better being inside a physical classroom since I have fewer distractions and a professor in front of me. Staying in my bedroom for Zoom classes before campus reopening didn’t help me with anything. 

All my chargers were right next to me, so; I didn’t have to worry about conserving battery on either my laptop or phone. My attention span is really bad so I get distracted by the things in my room.

I just felt a lack of energy and laziness. I didn’t want to do anything except scroll endlessly on social media. I still did my work because I didn’t want to fail or get scolded, but it just felt really weird to me.

It still feels like I’m back in high school instead of in my third year of university. It’s not like the “college experience” people have raved about, but more like an extended version of my senior year on a different campus. 

I’m getting better at it.

Now that campus opened, I’ve taken my time to go to different places and talk to some of my classmates. I know I can never go back to society’s former idea of “normal”, but I can do my best to make the most out of it and live freely.

Have you felt something similar? Share your story @HerCampusSJSU.

I am a Journalism major at SJSU. I fell in love with it and I hope to travel the world to learn new things and meet new people. I hope one day to have my works published for the world to see. In my free time, I like listening to music while I scroll aimlessly through social media or talking to my friends.