Smiley Face 3?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Smiley Face 3?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Canva
Style

Pros & Cons of Fast Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

With the rise of social media, fashion companies work much quicker to meet the demand for new fashion trends. Millennials and Gen-Z are eager to get a hold of these new products,while it is practicable, it is necessary to notice that it’s not exactly the best choice in terms of the environment and ethics.  

Fast fashion isn’t the best choice, that’s for sure. However, there are a few notable points that make it a valuable asset to many. For starters, the low production costs keep prices in a range that the mass public can afford. For many low-income, middle-class, or even college students trying to save cash, fast fashion keeps their shopping budget at affordable costs. We’ve all seen those $500 shopping hauls on social media. More than not, these same clothes will end up filling up thrift stores and sit there for months on end. However, if you’re someone that purchases fast fashion products and keeps on to them for many seasons, then that was a smart shopping choice.

With that being said, fast fashion does have many negative aspects that consumers should be wary of. The biggest one being environmental costs, fast fashion companies have a direct impact on greenhouse gases that are released into the environment. In addition, most products are unable to be re-used, making it a major polluter. There’s also the fact that many companies exploit workers in foreign countries and give them little to no salaries. Oftentimes, if a company does not have information on its workers, this could be a sign that child exploitation is being used. 

High-end name brands also can’t be excused. High prices do not equate to environmentally friendly products. It’s always best to do your research, if you can, on what brands have a positive impact on society! When searching for great brands, keep in mind if they offer clear information on their workers, third-party certificates, and descriptions of where their fabric is sourced. If you have any environmentally friendly brands that you like to shop from, be sure to tag us on Instagram, @HerCampusSJSU and let us know!

Hello! My name is Sabrina and I am a senior at San Jose State University. I'm a pre-law student majoring in political science with a minor in economics.