body images 2019 03 31 IMG 0006PNG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 03 31 IMG 0006PNG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Prince Philip Dies at Age 99

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

April 9th marked a sad day for Buckingham Palace.

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh and Queen Elizabeth II’s husband of 73 years, passed away at age 99 in Windsor Castle. After being hospitalized multiple times over the years, the man passed away midday in London, on April 9th.

Prince Philip was a man of many qualities, having served in the Royal Navy during World War II, fulfilling thousands of royal engagements to promote Britain in both home and countries abroad.

People around the world mourned the man when the news was announced. Floral tributes were left outside royal residences, which had to be stopped due to COVID-19 social distancing regulations, asking the public to donate to charity instead.

Westminster Abbey’s tenor bell rang 99 times, one for each year of Prince Philip’s life. Official flags will be put at half-staff until after his funeral. BBC showed footage of Prince Philip, instead of their usual programs. Those around the world paid their respects as well. World leaders such as Canada’s Justin Trudeau, Australia’s Scott Morrison and the U.S President, Joe Biden, gave their condolences.

The cast of ‘The Crown’, a Netflix series about Queen Elizabeth II and the royal family, also gave their condolences towards the family. 

There will be no state funeral, but a more private funeral has been planned with Prince Harry flying from California to attend. Meghan Markle, who is expecting the couple’s second child, was advised not to attend by her physician. The ceremonial funeral will be held on April 17.

I am a Journalism major at SJSU. I fell in love with it and I hope to travel the world to learn new things and meet new people. I hope one day to have my works published for the world to see. In my free time, I like listening to music while I scroll aimlessly through social media or talking to my friends.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah