New Years Resolutions & How to Keep Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

We are nearly in the middle of December and all I can think about is how the New Year is fast approaching. 2017 hasn’t been the worst year for me personally because I have seen myself grow and mature, but I also am starting to think about what New Year’s resolution I am going to be making this year. I feel like for most people, the beginning of the new year makes them think about what they can improve on for the upcoming year. It may be a resolution to eat healthier or get more active. Maybe it is a resolution to be kinder towards others or to work on personal weaknesses. The main thing that I always focus on when the new year comes around is making a resolution that I know I can stick with and not abandon two months in.

A couple of years back when I was in high school, I made a resolution to eat better and stay more active. I knew that I had made that resolution years prior, but I never was diligent with it. I would go to the gym and eat clean for a week only to become lazy and unmotivated the following week, which would lead me to becoming lazy for the rest of the year. When I actually stuck to my resolution, however, I started seeing results that I always wanted to see. I got way healthier and I also started to feel better as well. Knowing that I was actively living out my new year’s resolution and seeing results made me so proud and the people surrounding me saw it as well.

Keeping the new year’s resolution you make the night before can be tough. Sometimes we lose sight of what we actually want to work on and become complacent with not working on it. Sometimes life just gets in the way and we forget what we want to work on. I believe that we remind ourselves every day of our resolutions and why we made them, though, it will become easier for us. The New Year is a beautiful time to reflect on what we need to work on for ourselves and keep those resolutions strong until the next year comes along.

Hey there, my name is Taylor Jones! I am a senior at San Jose State majoring in journalism with an emphasis in photography. When I am not working on my school's broadcast team, I am either working at my local coffee shop singling espresso or traveling to SF to take photos. My other interests include knowing people's zodiac signs, signing along to my favorite song on long car rides and swimming in the ocean.
Tiana is a senior at San Jose State University and she is learning to take each day one step at a time while adjusting to life in the Bay Area. She's often watching YouTube videos on D.I.Y projects or hair care, but majority of the time she's watching Parks and Rec episodes while pretending to do homework. In the midst of all that homework dodging she's also casually planning her dream wedding.