Networking on Campus: How to Build Career Connections While in College

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As I’ve entered my last year in college, these past few months have prompted self-reflection on my academic and professional path at San Jose State. As I reflect on the last three — now almost four — years, I’ve realized that while my academic work played a significant role, my college experience was shaped by the experiences I gained from my involvement in student organizations, internships, and community work.

My experience has taught me that college isn’t just a place for academic learning; it’s an opportunity to build career connections, learn your interests, and explore your potential. The best gift you can give to your future self is investing in a well-rounded college experience that combines classroom knowledge with real-world experiences. 

While it may be tempting to put off networking or joining a student organization until you are close to graduation, these opportunities provide invaluable tools to help you better understand your interests and career possibilities. While everyone’s journey is different, here’s what has helped me figure out my career interests and networking within my field. 

1. Don’t skip out on club meetings

Joining student organizations changed the trajectory of my college journey. College can become isolating rather quickly, and as a commuter student, being part of student organizations helped me feel more grounded on my campus.

Speaking of my personal experiences, I joined several school clubs, Her Campus at SJSU being one, and I even took the initiative to establish my own organization, BridgeSJSU – a nonpartisan organization aimed to improve college politics. My efforts in establishing Bridge helped me in connecting with school administration, professors, and the local community, an opportunity I would not have gained had I not started my student organization. 

The point is that student organizations can provide you with the community necessary to connect with like-minded individuals who share your interests, particularly in terms of your future career.

Joining sooner, rather than later, can also offer the opportunity to accept leadership roles as older students graduate. These leadership positions not only make you stand out amongst professors but also build your resume. 

As a president of one organization on campus, BridgeSJSU, and a vice president of another, Model UN, I can speak first-hand on the importance of student organizations!

2. Connect with professors and classmates

My experience has taught me that professors are not just educators, they’re also mentors. Engaging with my professors has allowed me to explore internship opportunities within my field of interest. Attending office hours, asking questions, and being an active participant in class have helped me create connections beyond the classroom. 

As for classmates, these students will soon be future professionals so forming bonds with the people in my classes has introduced me not only to wonderful collaborations but also lifelong friendships.

3. Consider online networking

We live in the digital age! I’ve learned that online networking is a powerful tool for creating connections, and LinkedIn is at the forefront. I’m relatively new to LinkedIn, but it has allowed me to create a professional profile online and connect with those within my field of interest. If you haven’t yet, consider creating one. Many schools, like SJSU, offer LinkedIn learning lessons. 

More so, online networking has given me access to a wealth of information and knowledge, including articles, webinars, and podcasts. Currently, I am on a pre-law track, and my online networking has helped me gain access to vital info sessions that I plan to refer back to as I begin my law school applications. 
What is your best advice for networking on campus? Let us know on Instagram @HerCampusSJSU!

Hello! My name is Sabrina and I am a senior at San Jose State University. I'm a pre-law student majoring in political science with a minor in economics.