This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Mother’s Day is basically already here and now we are all in the state of panic trying to decide what is the perfect gift for a woman who deserves the world? Of course, you could never go wrong with some beautiful flowers but why not go beyond that and try to think outside of the box and make your gift more meaningful. Try to think back to when you were in elementary school, those little art projects you would make are probably kept in a box or somewhere around the house and those are probably the gifts she loved the most. Why? Because you made it, you put the effort and made it with extra love making it for your mom. As college students, we are always on a budget, so why not save some money and get crafty this Mother’s day and make your mom feel special.

One way you can save some money this Mother’s Day is keeping it simple. What you can do is search through your house and phone and find pictures of you and your mom from the time you were an infant till now. You can go to Marshall’s, Walmart and TjMaxx and look for a huge picture frame, which could be about $10, where you can fit a collage of pictures. Once you have your frame start arranging your pictures how you want them. Also, you can type a sweet message for your mom and say how much you love and appreciate her and place it in the middle of your college. This is something you could also do with your siblings. What mom doesn’t love a crafty gift with a touching message.

Another thing you could do is create a job of favors. Yes, it is a sacrifice but your mom will definitely appreciate it. How to create this gift is simply purchasing a jar at Michaels and cutting strips of paper. On each strip of paper write down a favor you would do for your mom like cleaning the kitchen, taking out the trash, cook for dinner. She will really appreciate the help.

Mother’s Day is ultimately not about the gifts. Of course, we all want to get our moms everything they want whether it be jewelry or shoes but it is never about the materialistic things. As long as you are with your mom and reminding her how much you appreciate her and love her, that is all she wants and cares about.

I am an aspiring broadcast journalists working hard to fulfill my dream career. I come a big Mexican family and was always taught to work hard for what I want, nothing will ever be handed to me. I also learned that there is no one I need to prove myself to except for me. I am finishing my studies at SJSU, majoring in journalism with an academic focus in Spanish. I come from a Spanish speaking background and hope to utilize my Spanish in my future career as a journalist. After college I plan to find a place in the entertainment industry and host numerous red carpets and also go back to school and get into the field of real estate. Real estate you may ask? Yes, real estate, I have many things I want to do in life because I am not a person who only settles on one thing. If I had a super power I would choose being in many places at once. I want to earn many academic degrees, visit many countries and learn a piece of their culture, meet new people all over the world, travel and make an impact in the world for the good. While my mind goes crazy with many ideas, I like to relax at home while drinking and tasting different wines, laying in bed and binge watching shows on Netflix.
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.