This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Recently, I watched “Rough Night” from 2017 with Scarlett Johansson, Zoë Kravitz, Kate McKinnon and so many more and I realized that the mom partying genre – as my title says – is just film gold.

I’m currently minoring in Radio, Television and Film and I love movies of any genre.

I would say I’m very knowledgeable about films so when I started watching them with my family since the pandemic began, my mom even said to me, “It’s like we can’t watch a movie with you! You know every director and what goes on onset. I don’t know how you do it.” 

My credibility from my mom and my minor is all I need. Yeah, that kind of sounds nerdy and hilarious but so am I.

“Rough Night” directed by Lucia Aniello, is centered around five friends who reunite in Miami for a bachelorette party after ten years and (spoiler alert!) wind up accidentally killing a male stripper. I thought the plot was hilarious and then realized, every ‘mom partying movie’ is so funny. I won’t even call it a guilty pleasure because I’ll admit it, I enjoy them! Movies like “Bad Moms”, “Life of the Party,” and “Wine Country” is roped in the genre I’m talking about.

Honestly, I laugh and snort my way through these movies.  These moms talking about the new teen lingo in the awkwardest way possible to their stereotypical love for wine can’t get better. The steaks are always high from an accidental murder to just losing your kid to college.

My mom just so happens to have  a little group of friends called the “Mom Squad.” I thought that these movies were a little non-realistic but after they came back from a squad vacation a couple of years ago, I learned the jokes in these movies existed for a reason. In these films, the moms typically survive through their crazy parties in college to raise a kid and then hire a babysitter to ultimately party again! Nothing is more powerful than a mom. But, a mom on vacation getting a break from her everyday life, is indestructible.

It makes sense that a movie that has to do with moms partying will obviously be a hit. While these movies actually don’t do well in ratings because it’s cringy, what does that matter? These movies have jokes, trials and tribulations, love, and booze. It’s hilarious to me and I think everyone should take a chance and watch a movie from this genre!

I cannot think of a better way to celebrate your mom this Mother’s day than by getting her flowers, wine and maybe even writing her own movie.

If you’re looking for a lighthearted laugh, definitely try the mom partying genre. Get out of your comfort zone and get into your mom jeans.

I graduated from Palomar College with an associate's degree in Journalism. I love entertainment journalism. I hope to get into writing about the arts, whether it be television, movies, or broadway. In my free time, I play video games and write fictional characters for imaginary cartoons.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah