Making a Vision Board Will Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

With a new year on the horizon, you may be wondering what’s waiting for you in 2024. 

Between the holidays and finals week, it can feel impossible to find time to organize your thoughts about what’s ahead. 

Setting New Year’s resolutions can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t always have to be. It’s important to set realistic expectations for yourself, and envisioning your future can be a helpful step in manifesting those goals. 

What if I told you there was a fun and easy way to successfully visualize your goals without the negative energy of resolutions? You guessed it – it’s creating a vision board!

Vision boards are the perfect way to visualize your goals on a daily basis without the added pressure of completing them right away. While resolutions are notorious for ending up forgotten, vision boards provide a safe place to envision your year and the many different goals you want to accomplish. 

Making a vision board isn’t about checking off every task on your to-do list, but rather about visualizing your goals and motivating yourself to complete as many as possible. You are bound to achieve at least one of your goals with so many options in front of you throughout the year. 

bOhUL3 LNRIhPy5Qq x31sPHle0mG thbbDIYM1

Out of the seventeen goals I included on my 2023 vision board, I managed to complete ten of them. Although I didn’t do everything on my list, I think accomplishing ten of my goals is still a massive win for the year. Some of the goals that I’ve yet to accomplish will be going on my 2024 vision board, while others I’ve simply outgrown.

That is the beauty of creating a vision board – you get to decide what to prioritize and which goals matter most to you as the year goes on. Keep reading to learn how to create a vision board of your own and manifest your goals in the new year.

1. Write Down Your Goals

The very first step in creating a vision board is to set your goals. Whether you have a small list or too many to count, write them down and begin visualizing how you want your year to look.

2. Choose a Word To Represent Your Year

Although this might sound cheesy, choosing a word as a mantra for your vision board is a great way to set a precedent for the year ahead. As challenges arise throughout the year, having a word to fall back on will keep you motivated to accomplish your goals. 

If you need help getting started, you can find a list of encouraging words here.

3. Decide on a format

There are endless ways you can go about designing your vision board, but two of my favorites are posters and digital designs using Canva

Choosing your format is completely up to you – there’s no wrong way to make a successful vision board.

No matter what format you choose, it is important to incorporate visual aids for each goal. You can do this by finding images on Pinterest, using personal photos, or cutting them out of magazines. You will be looking at it for the rest of the year, so be creative and add your own personal flair! 

4. Place it Somewhere You Will See it Everyday

Once you’ve completed your vision board, the most important step is placing it somewhere you will see it every day. Your vision board will be most effective if you spend time looking at it and reminding yourself of your goals. 

Some of my favorite places to put my vision board are on the fridge, on my bedroom door, or setting it as my laptop wallpaper. Wherever you decide to place it, be sure to choose somewhere you’ll see it on a regular basis. 
Planning on creating your own vision board for 2024? Share it with us @HerCampusSJSU!

Hannah is a fourth-year student at San Jose State majoring in Public Relations with an emphasis in Journalism. Outside of class, she can be found reading cheesy romance novels, studying at local coffee shops, shopping at Target, or rewatching her favorite TV shows.