This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Makeup and I have a love and hate relationship especially when doing it before going to class. Before attending San Jose State University, I would never step into the sunlight without makeup. Makeup was a huge part of me from looking like a glazed donut with the latest highlight, to the Kardashian attempt contour, to my voluminous black lashes, there was no way you would catch me without looking like a new woman.

I was always insecure to step outside or go to class without my hair or makeup done. I would even wake up two hours early just so I had sufficient amount of time to get ready and make it to class on time. Without makeup my confidence was very low, it was like wearing a mask that brought out a different person who looked approachable.

Though I loved wearing my makeup my skin was not loving it one bit. It was getting to the point where my skin would break out like crazy and now I was applying more makeup than usual making my skin feel even more irritated. It was so out of control that I realized the only way I would stop breaking out was to stop wearing makeup daily and start giving some love to my skin with face masks.

It was the beginning of a new school week and I had to mentally prepare myself to showcase my natural face to the world. I was getting a little anxious because I did not feel beautiful without makeup, but it was the only way to stop damaging my skin. It was the next morning, my alarm usually set to two hours earlier than the time I leave for school, I woke up and realized I can stay in bed a little more longer which was something I had not done since jr high school.

My morning routines usually took about two hours but now it only took me about 30 minutes or less. I arrived and survived my first day of not wearing makeup and I did not feel at all insecure with myself. I have now stopped wearing makeup during the school week for two years and it feel amazing. My acne is now under control and I started to build confidence with my natural beauty.

Makeup is a beautiful thing for many of us but we also have to learn to embrace our natural beauty and not be afraid to show it to the world.Many celebrities have gone natural to red carpets like Alicia Keys. Give your skin some time to breathe and let your natural glow free.

I am an aspiring broadcast journalists working hard to fulfill my dream career. I come a big Mexican family and was always taught to work hard for what I want, nothing will ever be handed to me. I also learned that there is no one I need to prove myself to except for me. I am finishing my studies at SJSU, majoring in journalism with an academic focus in Spanish. I come from a Spanish speaking background and hope to utilize my Spanish in my future career as a journalist. After college I plan to find a place in the entertainment industry and host numerous red carpets and also go back to school and get into the field of real estate. Real estate you may ask? Yes, real estate, I have many things I want to do in life because I am not a person who only settles on one thing. If I had a super power I would choose being in many places at once. I want to earn many academic degrees, visit many countries and learn a piece of their culture, meet new people all over the world, travel and make an impact in the world for the good. While my mind goes crazy with many ideas, I like to relax at home while drinking and tasting different wines, laying in bed and binge watching shows on Netflix.
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.