This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Alert! Alert! Valentine’s Day is officially approaching. The yearly questions are beginning to surface, what is he/she going to get me? What if he doesn’t like my gift? What if I am not being creative enough? Where are we going to dinner? What am I going to wear? Who will be my valentine this year?

Trust me all these questions are running around everyone’s minds right now, including mine. On the plus side of this stress we have 10 more days to mentally prepare ourselves and plan ahead. So in the meantime let’s relax and look at other options that are affordable, romantic and memorable.

1. Don’t worry if your valentine will like your gift or not!

You always want to get the ultimate gift for your valentine, as you would expect for them to do the same same for you. Let’s be realistic, sometimes that gift is overly expensive or out of stock so it feels impossible. So instead of going out of your way to find something you are questioning if they’ll like why not both of you make a list of things that are meaningful to you both of you and look for those little things. You can also make a collage of photos of both of you and put them in a frame, who does not love looking at old photos and going down memory lane.

2. Don’t worry about where to go for dinner.

Let’s face it your favorite restaurant is all booked with reservations and now you are resorting to your local Cheesecake Factory with a wait time of two hours. Instead of wasting time in the two hour wait, why not create a picnic basket with your favorite food and wine (if you are 21 and over of course).You can take that picnic basket and a blanket and take it to a place with a gorgeous view or a lovely park. It is inexpensive and very intimate with just the two of you and on the bright side you will not be waiting in line, score!

3. Don’t worry if you don’t have a valentine.

You know who the best Valentine is? It is yourself! You and everyone deserves to be spoiled on Feb.14 so get up from the couch and turn that frown upside down. Go do your hair and makeup and put on your favorite outfit. Call you single group of friends and meet up and do your own thing and watch movies and have plenty of food. Are you the only single one from your friends? Then go out and spoil yourself at the mall get yourself the latest Fenty Beauty product and make the most of your day because you and everyone deserves the best Valentines Day.

I am an aspiring broadcast journalists working hard to fulfill my dream career. I come a big Mexican family and was always taught to work hard for what I want, nothing will ever be handed to me. I also learned that there is no one I need to prove myself to except for me. I am finishing my studies at SJSU, majoring in journalism with an academic focus in Spanish. I come from a Spanish speaking background and hope to utilize my Spanish in my future career as a journalist. After college I plan to find a place in the entertainment industry and host numerous red carpets and also go back to school and get into the field of real estate. Real estate you may ask? Yes, real estate, I have many things I want to do in life because I am not a person who only settles on one thing. If I had a super power I would choose being in many places at once. I want to earn many academic degrees, visit many countries and learn a piece of their culture, meet new people all over the world, travel and make an impact in the world for the good. While my mind goes crazy with many ideas, I like to relax at home while drinking and tasting different wines, laying in bed and binge watching shows on Netflix.
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.