Let’s Talk About Instagram’s Shopping Feature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Instagram is one of the biggest social media platforms and the best to discover new products, destinations and more! Instagram has also become one of the most effective ways to market your brand because of the large number of users. At first, Instagram just featured promotions and ads to get the word out about products, but now it’s entered into the e-commerce world with all its recent updates. In 2018, Instagram made it possible to shop from posts on your feed.

In 2019, they enabled an in-app checkout straight from a post. In 2020, the shopping menu has become easy to access by being in the navigation menu, and some additions have been made with customization to shoppers. The shopping icon has replaced “Your Activity,” which moved to the top of your feed. This change has angered some people, but here’s why Instagram shopping is a good thing.

Instagram shopping is an in-app e-commerce platform to buy and sell items, and it’s great for small businesses to sell their products. Using the new feature, you can now “Browse shops,” “See Editor’s picks,” “Explore Guides,” and “Shop Collections.” There’s also a wishlist section where your saved items go. Instagram shopping has become a new social media marketing tool, and here is how:

Brands can now use the Instagram shopping feature to get their products out there for users to buy with just a few clicks! This feature is excellent for small businesses to get their shops seen. E-Commerce is slowly replacing the in-person shopping experience, so it’s smart that Instagram joined in on it as many companies and businesses market their products on this platform. Small businesses have struggled due to Covid-19, so this feature benefits them, allowing them to bring shopping online instead of in stores and now on one of the biggest social media platforms.

Facebook’s press release stated that their goal is to make shopping seamless and empower anyone from a small business owner to a global brand to use our apps to connect with customers. Many people tend to shop at the same stores a lot, even during the pandemic, but Instagram promotes the small business world and gives them a chance to grow and expand their customer base and increase their sales. Customers also get the opportunity to buy from new places and explore what brands are out there. I have recently found a lot of new businesses to support during this challenging time on Instagram!

Try not to ignore this feature, and actually use it! You might find some gifts for family and friends, or you can treat yourself this holiday season! This feature is a great new way to shop for customers and find items that you enjoy seamlessly without going from website to website, trying to find something that you like. It’s also great to find a variety of items all in one place!

Try this new feature out? Let us know by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU on Instagram!

My name is Sachi and I'm a Marketing Major at SJSU and I love photography, going on new adventures, and doing anything creative!
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah