Style > Fashion

Learn About Fashion Trends Happening This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As the days are becoming more cold and chilly, you may have noticed students at SJSU are pulling out their fall clothes. If you are sick of wearing the same sweaters and hoodies every year, now may be the time to go shopping for the new, stylish items that are being popularized this season, either through TikTok or runway fashion. Don’t worry; the research has already been done for you! Here are five trends that are happening this autumn: 

1) Red Hot Everything

Red is most definitely the color of the season this year. Red outerwear such as cherry leather jackets, scarlet trench coats, and bright vermillion vests are consistently popping up in 2023’s fall collections. In addition, tomato-red leather boots are making an appearance everywhere on the runway as a grasp of attention. 

If you are the type of person who avoids vivid, loud colors in their outfits, you could always go for accessories that add a pop of color, such as a muted ruby handbag, wine red scarf, or intense cardinal sunglasses. Adding any type of red to your outfit automatically elevates and transforms it into something so much more fashionable and chic. 

2) Off-The-Shoulder 

As fall approaches, off-the-shoulder sweaters will be seen more frequently around campus and social media. It’s the best top to make your neckline and shoulder blades look even more flattering. These tops can give a basic outfit an elegant, refined touch. Some tops trending on TikTok are &OtherStories’ chunky wool shrug, H&M’s off-the-shoulder sweater, and Loavies’ sand jumper. 

Off-the-shoulder sweater dresses are another up-and-coming item becoming hyped now. These dresses are perfect for when you want to stay warm during chillier weather while still looking sophisticated. You can go full off-the-shoulder, but even one shoulder still looks really attractive. 

3) Flat Shoe Fall

From loafers to ballet flats to clogs, flat shoes are the “it” footwear this autumn. Loafers are the trendiest, most understated flat shoe there is. It goes with all outfits, whether business casual, sportswear, or vintage aesthetic. If you are new to the loafer trend, it is recommended that you go for a classic black pair that will surely complement any attire you wear. 

Additionally, ballet flats are a hot item on the market today. They have been trending for a while now and don’t look like they are going out of style anytime soon. Whether you choose a designer, square, or affordable pair, they will make any outfit look sleek. 

Moreover, clogs are the most comfortable shoes you can wear this fall. Birkenstock’s clogs have been trending on social media for their stylish yet cozy look. If you are looking for a shoe that stands out, clogs are the item for you. 

4) Oversized Jackets

Oversized jackets are still all the rage this season. Bomber jackets paired with loose layers are everyone’s most loved combo, as they define and flatter every body type. 

Jeans are a classic bottom to pair with an oversized jacket, but a slip skirt will bring your outfit to the next level if you are looking for something more out there.. 

Moto jackets are another essential staple to your wardrobe. They give off a polished biker chic aesthetic and are common to find in every thrift store, making them incredibly affordable. Any base works with a moto jacket, but fitted tops have been all the craze lately. 

5) Denim Skirts

As you may have noticed everywhere on campus, denim skirts have been extremely popular these days. Whether detailed or reworked denim, these garments are incredibly versatile and stylish. 

This season, midi and maxi denim skirts are the way to go. They go with almost every top and shoe, making them perfect for when you’re in a rush and don’t know what to wear. Paired with a leather jacket and flat shoes, this combo will earn you many compliments. 

There has been a broad range of colored denim skirts appearing everywhere on the runway. Whether dark wash or beige, these bottoms are a crucial item you need this fall. 

Will you be using any of these fall fashion trends happening this year? Let us know at @HerCampusSJSU!

Hey guys! My name is Sabira Abdolcader and I am a senior editor for the SJSU chapter of Hercampus. I have been apart of Hercampus for a semester now and I am very excited to continue my journey with the writers team. Some topics that I love to write about are fashion, music, and entertainment.