This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The week of March 2nd was SJSU’s Foreign Language Week. Professors across the foreign language department got together to create events in celebration. Being a part of the Italian class at San Jose State, my class had the privilege to sit in on our professor, Anna Bernardi showing us how to make three different recipes, all of which make my mouth water.

I had ended up arriving half way through due to schedule conflicts; however, I still got to experience how amazing all three of the recipes are. My professor has allowed me to share one of her recipes for tiramisu, and let me tell you, it was probably one of the best desserts I’ve ever had, and I’ve never had it before.

Recipe: Tiramisu by Anna Bernardi

(serves 6-8)

Ingredients

3 large eggs

½ cup sugar

1 cup espresso or strong coffee

2 T. cognac or brandy

8 oz. mascarpone cheese 

⅛ cup cocoa

20 ladyfinger cookies

Directions

Combine 3 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon espresso, sugar, and cognac in a large mixing bowl. Beat 2-3 minutes. Add mascarpone and beat 3-5 minutes until consistency is smooth.

In another bowl, combine 3 egg whites and a pinch of sugar. Beat until mixture forms stiff peaks. Gently fold into the mascarpone mixture.

Pour rest of espresso into a flat dish, dip one side of each ladyfinger and layer on the bottom of a serving dish. Spread ⅓ of mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with cocoa. Continue layering and finish with the mascarpone layer. Sprinkle and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

My professor gave the suggestion to sprinkle the cocoa right before serving, so it doesn’t soak into the fluffy layers. However, you don’t need to do that because it doesn’t affect the taste.

With that being said, buon appetito!  

Hi! My name is Gabriella, but I go by Gabbie. I’m a sophomore at San Jose State University as a double major in Journalism and Political Science. I hope to use my degree in helping the world become a better place. In the SJSU chapter, I am the senior editor for the magazine.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah