Introspecting Through Ink: The Importance Of Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It is more important than ever to prioritize mental health and make space for self-care activities in our bustling day-to-day lives.

The COVID-19 pandemic has inevitably sparked changes in many of our lives and has forced us to look inward even when we typically don’t see a reason to do so. Our personalities remain forever transformed by this long-lasting event, and many of us have grown to view changes either for the better or for the worse.

However, changes in our lives don’t always have to be ascribed to confined notions of “good” or “bad.” Sometimes, they’re both and neither. Basically, change can be frightening and fruitful at the same time. 

When we suddenly start to spend most of our time in solitude, we are often met with thoughts and feelings that we didn’t previously have access to. Hence, being instantly bombarded with all of these can overwhelm us and make us jump into black-and-white forms of thinking. 

It is important that we find safe and comforting outlets for us to release these burdening feelings and thoughts — in a way where we’re proactively moving forward and not self-sabotaging our lives. I find journaling to be a great way to release such unproductive sentiments and gain a clearer understanding of life. 

Our thoughts are frequently shapeshifting in nature, so writing them down is a disciplined way of unpacking them. Doing so can lead to us finding revelations about ourselves that we otherwise would not have been able to find. 

We might find that writing about one event sparks thoughts about another event, therefore allowing us to connect the dots and find recurring patterns in our lives. Whether we want to understand ourselves on a deeper level, reflect on a monumental life experience, or simply voice our thoughts, a pen and paper has the power to bring us a step or two closer to attaining self-awareness. 

Yes, strong emotions such as anxiety and heartbreak can sometimes engulf us to the point where our first instinct isn’t to grab our journal and start writing. While journaling can be a good coping mechanism, it isn’t something that can entirely mitigate our pain or helplessness.

The only way we can do so is by actively confronting our emotions. Journaling should be used as a means of attaining self-discovery, not as a tool to rationalize and repress our emotions. 

While analysis can bring about great personal insights, I believe that self-discovery cannot be reached without sitting with uncomfortable feelings, instead of fighting them with distractions. Journaling and heavily reflecting on a situation while practicing unhealthy detachment will not result in growth. As always, balance is key. 

Ultimately, the transformative nature of change, especially in the context of worldly circumstances, can evoke mixed emotions. As we put pen to paper, we unveil many different layers of thoughts present in our mind. Introspecting through ink stands to be a powerful activity that can help us navigate nuanced situations in our lives and increase our self-awareness.  
What are your thoughts on journaling? Let us know at @hercampussjsu !

hello, i'm swathi! i'm a 3rd year psychology major, with minors in business and human systems integration. i like to read, write, and dance :))