This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

QGM bX C7w9iD9fEfRROxuFPW70xhBpW1OfG5qsDSyKaUjHMWLYZaRccQaHey5adYJjJtoaJ9mhi bQNxTZZvMXqrBFtGuwnSJ6y

Dac the SJSU Duck posing for a picture at the Sammy’s. Image from @SJSUDuck

Dac the Duck, also known as the “SJSU Duck”, first donned the duck mask in October of 2021 and since then he has only embraced this persona. 

I had the privilege of talking to Dac about his personal experiences with SJSU and the athletics department. 

His love of sports started before his time at SJSU. From being a high school football player to his childhood experiences in Nebraska, sports has always been an important part of his life. 

“A lot of people in the state [Nebraska] were passionate about their sports team. If I support you, I support you no matter what,” Dac said. 

This loyalty translated into SJSU sports, where Dac would’ve gone to as many games as he could, regardless of his duck mask. His time as a student-athlete has also helped him understand and relate to student-athletes, which furthered his motivation to attend as many games as possible. 

“I know the hardships of being a student-athlete. When they look into the stands and see it half empty…they might feel a bit down,” he said before reiterating how he hopes that when the student athletes see him, that they know he is there to support them. 

He hopes to help “get SJSU on the map” and talked about on social media due to the growing athletic programs. He mentions that while SJSU, historically, hasn’t been known for their athletic programs–is an underdog tale. With many of the sports teams doing very well in their games, Dac states that “with more wins, there comes more people.” 

Jeff Konya, the Athletic Director at SJSU, was praised by Dac for being “open, communicative and very open to ideas and change” from Spartan Nation. This open and welcoming environment in the sports team hasn’t gone unnoticed by many student-athletes. Many of the sports teams are stated to have a family-like bond. 

The diversity at SJSU creates a safe space for many of the student-athletes. It can be hard for many athletes, especially transfer students, to move and adjust to a new environment. Dac states “No matter what background you come from, you’ll find a group of people who will welcome you. I’ve never felt excluded during my time here,” which can make it easier for the student-athletes to adjust. 

He also mentions the importance of the welcoming nature SJSU has for its student-athletes. Beyond Sparta, a program meant to support student-athletes in their careers whilst also giving back to the community, was noted by Dac as “making their [student-athletes] lives easier.” 

He feels incredibly lucky to have had his ideas be embraced by the SJSU community. With his rise in popularity, he has been able to go to many games, media days, the Sammy’s [an award night for student-athletes], etc. Notably, at many games another duck persona shows up–the SJSU Duckling. While they aren’t related, they both share an incredible love for SJSU sports. 

His interactions with the student-athletes and coaches only continue to motivate him. 

“When student athletes and coaches ask to take a photo with me, I’m so close to fangirling. I’m smiling ear to ear, but they wouldn’t be able to tell,” he states. 

Little by little, Dac has begun to notice an increase in attendance. While football games may not have an attendance issue, Dac hopes the audience will stay past the third quarter. He also hopes more people will come watch other sports such as basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, etc. 

For people who are not particularly interested in sports, Dac encourages more people to come watch games as a way to make friends as it is “a community event that can also help take your mind off of the present.” 

With the support from SJSU and his family, Dac wants to continue making content, whether it’s videos, GIFs, posts, etc. He hopes to continue making YouTube videos and podcast episodes with student-athletes. His podcast can be found on his YouTube channel, alongside other videos that Dac has filmed.  

At the end of the day, Dac is immensely proud to be a part of the SJSU community. 

“Even without the mask, I feel like I’m a part of the Spartan Nation,” he states. 

Are you planning to go to any upcoming games? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU!

Vi Huynh

SJSU '26

Hi, my name is Vi Huynh! I am a current first year at San Jose State University.