Wellness

The Importance of Indigenous American Medicinal Practices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Indigenous medicinal practices emphasize the importance of “humanity, nature, and the spiritual realm.” These types of practices have been around for thousands of years. There are different factors associated with this type of practice, including the use of medicinal plants and healing methods.

1. Ceremonies

Ceremonies, with different religious items being used, are specifically for healing the patient with their family present. The more people present at the ceremonies, besides the patient and the family, the better and faster the healing process can happen. The concept is similar to the idea of having strength in numbers. It is almost like harnessing the strength of a community being together whenever someone gets sick.

2. Medicinal Plants

Plants are used as part of healing the patients. These plants are not only used for healing, but also a part of the people’s diet. Types of plants include Native Hawaiian, Southwest Indian, Upper Plains Indian, and Alaska Native Medicinal Plants. Hawaiian plants, in general, are used as food, which is looked at as some sort of healing medication for the sick. Before any growing of the plants, oftentimes, healers would pray and bring forth thanks because they do believe in the Creator.

3. Tools Utilized

Tools for medicinal practices were made out of different materials such as bones, skins and feathers. These tools were put into bundles, such as some type of cloth and a hand tool put together; if someone had a bundle and if you were to ask what parts were included in the bundles, it would be considered taboo. One example of a tool used is a sweat lodge; which is mainly made of hot stones. Water would be poured on the hot stones while the healers prayed and sang; with this action, it is a way for the sick body to heal and cleanse.

4. The Medicine Wheel

There are Four Directions involved in the Medicine Wheel. The Four Directions can be different artifacts in regards to how it looks, and each of the movements has a similar circular motion. The Four Directions include North, East, West, South. With these directions, it can resemble stages of life, seasons, different parts of someone’s life, and animals. Each direction symbolizes a different aspect of life, with the categories mentioned earlier.

It is interesting to see how these practices are taking place as the American medicinal practices are extremely different. Feel free to explore other types of medicinal practices that other groups do. With the Four Directions and also the number four in itself, it is considered sacred for the Indigenous tribes as there are “four seasons, four human needs…and the four sacred medicines.”

isfp | a simple girl ready to bring out the best version in others and herself
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah