pen pal stickers and stationary
pen pal stickers and stationary
Original photo by Sally Chan

How to Support the USPS – Through Pen-Palling!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Recently, the United States Postal Service (USPS) has been doing poorly financially due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic. The USPS is an integral part of our nation’s economy, and one of the largest employers of veterans in the nation. The USPS shutting down would have a devastating impact on many Americans. However, we can do a small part to help the USPS by pen-palling!

Pen-palling is when two people exchange letters with each other through mail; it could be someone from a foreign country or even your closest friend! Being pen pals with someone is a fun way to make new friends and communicate more on a one-on-one basis. During this past summer, I had the opportunity to have four of my own pen pals, ranging from someone I have never met before to some of my closest friends.

I love telling my pen-pals about what’s going on in my life; from venting frustrations to sharing funny moments, my pen-pals and I keep each other in the loop!

You might watch some penpal videos for inspiration and become overwhelmed by the different materials used. However, pen-palling can be very simple! All you really need are envelopes, stamps, paper, pens, and possibly a glue stick to seal your envelope.

To add some fun to pen-palling, you can gift little items in the envelope! Some examples include:

• Stickers
  • Washi tapes
  • Music recommendations
  • A list of questions to answer
  • Stationery

After writing and placing your letter in the envelope, the most important part of this whole process is to include the stamp and address. By purchasing stamps from the USPS, you are helping to support the USPS!

If you plan on trying this out, snap a pic and tag us on Instagram @HerCampusSJSU!

isfp | a simple girl ready to bring out the best version in others and herself
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah