IMG 1532 4jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 1532 4jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Grace Mastronardi

How Beading is Good For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Ever since we all started quarantine, we all searched for something to do to keep ourselves busy. It was a time to try new things or bring back a hobby you haven’t done in a while. For me, I started making beaded bracelets. I didn’t do much in the beginning, since I wasn’t really interested in doing much at the time.

One day, a music artist I liked made a video of him making beaded bracelets and I thought it was cool. The vibes were nice and the bracelets were nicely made. I bought my own set from Amazon to see if I could make something pretty to wear. As I started to make bracelets, I found that It was actually really calming and cheaper than I thought it would be. I didn’t think I would like it as much as I did. It turns out there were a lot of benefits to beading.

Beading requires a lot of concentration because of how much it takes to put the beads on the string. Your full focus has to be on the string and beads. It makes it easy for you to keep your mind clear of all the stress. With your hands busy and your focus on one thing, it’s easy to lose yourself and stop your mind from wandering too far. It’s very therapeutic even though it can get a little frustrating.

I feel that beading is also good for when you want an activity that helps you release some creativity and imagination. Yes, you can just put beads on a string in a pattern, but there are also different designs you can do. You can wrap the beads and string so it looks like a flower. There are different types of charms you can add to the bracelets. There are endless possibilities on how to design the beaded jewelry you make. It takes a lot of practice and imagination.

Beading is a nice way to distract yourself from the busy outside world and invest in a slower-paced hobby. It’s nothing too expensive and it’s not that difficult to do. It’s worth a try and it’s good for all ages. As long as you don’t spill any of the little beads, it’s all fun.

I am a Journalism major at SJSU. I fell in love with it and I hope to travel the world to learn new things and meet new people. I hope one day to have my works published for the world to see. In my free time, I like listening to music while I scroll aimlessly through social media or talking to my friends.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah