Covid Vaccine card
Covid Vaccine card
Original photo by Kaitlyn Evans
Culture > News

Here’s What to Do If You’ve Lost Your Vaccination Card

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

If you’re in fear of losing or damaging your COVID-19 vaccination record card or have already lost or damaged it, there are a few ways you can retain a new one!

With the Delta Variant on the rise, San Francisco pushed a mandate which required proof of one’s COVID-19 vaccination in order to enter indoor establishments. This way, businesses can stay open while also reducing the spread of COVID-19 and all its other variants.

It would be no surprise if our own cities would follow in the steps of San Francisco. At this point, it’s important to keep your proof of vaccination card safe and at hand.

However, some of us may have either damaged or lost the COVID-19 vaccination card. There are a few ways you can show proof of the COVID-19 vaccination in California.

1. Digital COVID-19 Vaccine Record

The information on your physical vaccination card can also be shown on your digital devices. California residents can go onto https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/ and retrieve a 24-hour link that will give access to their vaccine status. It’s a good idea to screenshot the digital card or keep the record in a safe place.

1. Request for a new one

To get a new physical copy of your record card, call the clinic from where you got your COVID shot(s). If there were two different clinic sites, contact the second site first and see if they can retrieve information on your first dose as well. They will likely give you the option to pick up or mail your new card.

1. Obtain your entire Immunization Record

Contact your healthcare provider or visit the California Immunization Registry for the entire copy of your immunization record. It should have the COVID-19 vaccine.

If you haven’t damaged or lost your vaccine card, there are ways to prevent it from happening! To avoid damage to the card, get it laminated. A few retail stores will be able to laminate your card for free.

Treat your card like any other important card. Place it safely in your wallet and remind yourself that it’s just as important as your government ID or driver’s license. 

Lastly, taking a picture of your physical vaccine card may help you get out of the mud. Beware! Not all establishments may take the photograph of your vaccine card as valid proof.

Let us know if this was helpful by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU!

Yoo-hoo, It's Mary Kay here! I'm a 4th-year Advertising student at San Jose State University. Other than being a writer for Her Campus, I also currently intern at Dwight, Bentel & Hall Communications as a copywriter.