Fun Fall-Inspired Photo Shoots to Do This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again! The leaves are changing colors, pumpkins are everywhere and the spooky season is upon us. This is the perfect time to get into your favorite fall outfit and take some photos with some friends or by yourself! Here are some fun photoshoot ideas that you can use to capture some fall-themed and spooky photos for your Instagram.

1. Pumpkin Patches

Going to a pumpkin patch is a classic fall activity that can easily be turned into a photoshoot! Utilize the pumpkins around you at the pumpkin patch to capture some cool photos. Hold the pumpkins as props and sit on hay if it’s at the farm that you’re going to. These are some pumpkin patches near San Jose if you’re interested in going:

If you don’t want to go to a farm to take photos, you can still buy pumpkins from your local store and take pictures wherever you want. Another idea is to carve a pumpkin and put a hole on the bottom for your head to fit through and wear it for some photos! This is a good photoshoot to do with your significant other. An example of that is shown in this Tik Tok.

2. Fall Leaves

One of the most popular photoshoot themes for autumn is simply using nature and the different fall colors as a background for your photos. Find a spot nearby (like a park!) where there are a lot of trees with fall colors and leaves on the ground to take photos. A fun photo idea is to make a leaf pile and jump into it or take a bunch of leaves and throw them into the air! This photoshoot is a good way to show off your fall outfits with an appropriate background to match.

3. Sheet Ghosts

Ghost-themed photoshoots have become very popular in 2020 and have blown up on Tik Tok recently. All you need is a white sheet, some props and a camera (or phone). Wear the sheet over your head and cut some holes for your eyes, and you’re done and ready to shoot! I suggest taking these on the street at night time with your flash on for maximum effect, or going to a location with a lot of trees so it looks like you’re in the woods.

4. Pumpkins and Smoke Bombs

A creative photoshoot idea for fall and the spooky season is to buy a pumpkin and a smoke bomb (used specifically for photography). Smoke bombs are used to create a smoke/fog effect in any color that you desire. The way to do this is to place the smoke bomb inside a pumpkin and when you’re ready to take a picture, ignite the smoke bomb! Jack-o-Lanterns are best for these kinds of photos. You can also get some nice photos with you holding an orange smoke bomb! Remember to be careful with the smoke bombs and wear a mask to protect your face.

Spark your creativity and enjoy taking photos this fall season! Tag me @sachosphotos or @HerCampusSJSU on Instagram if you post photos/stories inspired by these ideas!

My name is Sachi and I'm a Marketing Major at SJSU and I love photography, going on new adventures, and doing anything creative!
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah