Mean Girls phone scene
Mean Girls phone scene
Lorne Michaels Productions
Style > Fashion

Fetch Y2K Fashion Trends Making a Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The early 2000s is my favorite fashion era. It reminds me of simpler times as a child. I always wanted to dress up as my favorite characters in movies like “Mean Girls” and “13 Going on 30”. When you step into clothing stores nowadays many of the clothing items look like they are straight out of the early 2000s and I am here for it. 

So what is Y2K fashion you might ask? According to The Vou, “In the world of fashion, Y2K is a stylistic trend covering the late ’90s and early-to-mid 2000s styles. Y2K times are a natural place to return to, filled by a nostalgia for a simpler time before the convergence of logo-mania fashion and the crossover between streetwear and luxury”.

Low Rise Jeans

Djvwxlq0aABMDrUpqe7tjji0N7ob7EwLtK3qVUMtTMm2CK7lRB1jmRdycco

Photo credit: Glamour Magazine 

Halter Tops

1mOlSGfEw49O7yFAl9xV97pFngZ48Q0ibrLKsq K1u2nc

Photo credit: Plunge Halter Top at Garage

Halter tops can come in many different styles and colors. They are also being sold in sets that come with matching pants. It looks great on every body shape and can be perfect to wear on a night out or dressed down for more of an everyday look. 

Platform Sandals

fT2T4v 5L882EGSLjLzQQ4DnrQ9gAHjDJu6ytBlXohv2QIwszmBeh3BPwtoPR2KgZzClBRvaQKkFF 7dy9YvpscZ75F4XBBuZybE0uZLPZBmuIoaPD4Xafaj3o rfLTze9ZXns6

Photo credit: available at Forever 21

This is another summer staple for 2022. You can pretty much watch any sort of beach movie from the early 2000s and you are bound to see people wearing sandals like these. They come in a bunch of different colors and are perfect to wear on a hot summer day. 

Pastel Colors

z6Lc

Photo credit: The Trend Spotter

The picture above shows two of the colors you can expect to see more of in 2022. Vibrant pink and lilac add a bright pop of color and are a nice change to the muted-colored clothing we have seen in the last decade. Other colors to expect more of are pale yellow, turquoise, and bright green.

Micro Skirts

xYslu9UBXF3umSE7WKujS6VHP5vITGEOoHlqcSgfY0E1WialtjsH 99DVrd4 3hbhgG1PypHSdtjEJwAkxpDEyrpTBmK N3IJoEEofRdu5iuVTGJMg1MOyhCgiotWjPCZxfem GC

Photo credit: Refinery29

Micro skirts remind me of the type of clothing my Bratz dolls would wear and I am here for its comeback in 2022. These skirts can come in many styles such as denim or belted waists. They are perfect for the summer and celebrities like Olivia Rodrigo and Emma Chamberlain are helping them rise in popularity again. 

Corset Tops

I4Hi3hdnQcrl TmTRwwTVkv6Ju26TskTEpCHJiZr7Vtt9Zs3Iw7FGQZqcgf6z P8N0nFv7 DRBcFN AseEFYC70PitNrTkh5suiwqM cKVVHc9knMzDWDtdMCqoaUqYNt b82pGb

Photo credit: Top at Pacsun

Corset tops were a must-have in the early 2000s and they are today as well. You can find a wide range of corset top styles to suit your style. Many stores sell both cropped versions of this trend as well as longer tops. They can look great paired with low rise jeans, high rise jeans and skirts. 

Velour Tracksuits

WNww1szRlI7Y 31oZMeaJ6MhUGil58t4 2ft4I6IwDiqXF8wkZJ4HJvySrITVJaZdkPClVW8EepWkmT3J6bafdI BQN

Photo credit: Available on Fashion Nova

Velour tracksuits were huge in the early 2000s. They were worn by huge pop culture icons like Regina’s mom in Mean Girls, Lindsay Lohan, and Jennifer Lopez. Juicy Couture was the brand that was known for selling these at that time. Add this to your shopping bag so that you can look like you just stepped out of the 2000s!

Let us know your favorite Y2K fashion trends by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU

Hi my name is Destiny Owens and this is my first year with Her Campus. I will write articles about a large range of topics.