Evolving throughout My College Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

In the blink of an eye, my college years seemed to fly by, granted almost a year and a half of it was fully online. It still feels surreal that I am about to start my last year of college. When I think back to freshman year, I see so many changes and growth in myself. There were ups and downs throughout the years, but they all helped create the person I am today.

One of the biggest things college has taught me, at least outside of the classroom, is you are going to be involved in various friendships and relationships that are constantly changing. This is something that I have grown to love and appreciate. I never used to be one for change, I have a tendency to get very attached to those in my life so when any relationships would end in my life it was fairly difficult. However, over time I learned to love and appreciate the relationships and friendships in my life that are continuing to grow stronger. This was one of the harder pills to swallow, but one that truly did change my life.

Another important thing college has taught me is protecting my energy. I have finally reached a place in my life where I am only investing and pouring effort into connections that create a positive space for me. In doing so, I have been able to keep myself at peace and have a more positive outlook on life. This coincides with developing stronger bonds with those around me who I feel have my best interests at heart and support me in all that I do. 

Being a college student has been a time when I finally got to know myself. I felt as though in the past I struggled with being alone and happy with my own company. Now I can happily be at peace with just myself and in doing things on my own time. Learning more about what makes me happy and the boundaries that I have put up has genuinely helped me continue to grow in all areas of my life. 

How has college helped you grow throughout the years? Tag us @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi my name is Anjali! I am a senior at San Jose State University with a major in Business Administration. I love reading and writing articles for this amazing organization! A majority of my articles revolve around metal health and self care because of how strongly I feel about these topics, and want to continue to shed light on their importance.