Culture > News

Everything You Need to Know About What’s Going On In Iran

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Approximately two weeks ago, an Iranian woman named Mahsa Amini was beaten to death by Iran’s morality police because she wasn’t wearing her hijab “properly”.Women are treated as second class citizens. It has been an ongoing fight for freedom for the Iranian people. 

Amini’s death caused a huge uproar of anger worldwide. 

Since the Iranian revolution in the 70s, the Islamic Republic has ruled the nation of Iran. This merciless dictatorship is built on sexism and several other hateful ideologies. Iran has a dark history of tragic deaths due to the Islamic Republic. 

There have been thousands of women before Amini, that have been brutally and unjustly murdered. According to the Islamic republic, women are required to cover up at all times, must be obedient to their husbands and fathers, and bring honor to their family. 

Ever since the revolution Iran has been an incredibly dangerous place for a woman. 

Following the death of Amini, the streets of Iran have flooded with people protesting for their basic human rights,despite how dangerous the act of protesting in Iran is. Thousands of brave men and women have been fighting back against the regime. 

Women have even been cutting their hair and burning their hijabs in the streets to make the ultimate stand. This has made the regime push back harder. Hundreds of people have been executed or arrested in the past couple weeks merely for exercising their right to free speech. 

For all people living outside of Iran it is important to understand that the Islamic Republic simply aims to have full control over the Iranian people. They will not hesitate to murder their “own people” until they fall back into line. 

The dictator, Ali Khamenei has been brainwashing the people of Iran, feeding them misinformation, and controlling every aspect of their life that he can. Last week the regime officially shut off the Iranian people’s internet access due to the influence and impact their statements have been making on people worldwide. 

This regime is incredibly dangerous, and has their civilians living in a constant state of fear. 

All the Iranian people ask is that as a nation we advocate for them and be their voice. Their main goal is to show the regime that they are not alone, and that they won’t allow them to terrorize and control their lives any longer.

It is crucial that every human being speaks out about this in any way that they can.  

Let us know how you feel about the situation in Iran @HerCampusSJSU

Hi I'm Ava and I'm a second year at San Jose state! I am majoring in kinesiology hoping to get into the medical field. I am from pleasant hill, California and I am 19 years old. I am passionate about reading and writing. I also love all things related to photography.