The End of Hollywood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Over the last couple of weeks, Hollywood and its biggest producers and actors have been hit with sexual assault allegations that range from everything from forceful sexual encounters to masturbating in public. Numerous actresses, female comedians and directors are coming out sharing their personal testimonies on what happens when the lights go down and the glamour fades. As someone who shares her own sexual abuse history, it also pains me to see that Hollywood, rather than lending a helping hand to these women are putting them down and hindering them on their scary experiences. Unfortunately for these women, Hollywood has had a field day of covering up sexual abuse and altercations for a very long time, and will continue to do so if it means it is protecting its biggest stars.

As someone who has dealt with her own abuse over the years, it pains me when women finally grab the courage to speak out against their attacker and no one believes them. 

They are put down by (mostly) men who tell them that they are lying or that no one will believe them if it is true. Unfortunately, I have heard my fair share of men telling women this, and it is so painful and heart wrenching to hear. What is happening in Hollywood is the same thing. Women are finally coming out and outing these disgusting people, only to be met with backlash from the community stating that they are probably lying to get more  recognition. This is where we as the community have to be better when it comes to serious things like sexual abuse and assault. Instead of telling women who have been hurt that their pain is not true or valid, we should come together as a community and help them get the help that they need.

As for the Hollywood community, I do see more and more companies starting to drop these actors who have been accused and found guilty of inappropriate behavior. I believe that what these companies are doing is a smart decision, and I hope that other entertainment areas (such as the music industry) will take note of these actions as well. Sexual assault happens everywhere and to everyone, not just women. It is when these people tell their story of assault and get no help whatsoever that baffles me. Instead of getting help, they get backlash instead which is not correct. Hollywood still has a long way to go since more and more accusations have been popping up. I stay hopeful and pray that more and more companies drop the people at fault, but for now it really looks like it is the end of Hollywood.

Hey there, my name is Taylor Jones! I am a senior at San Jose State majoring in journalism with an emphasis in photography. When I am not working on my school's broadcast team, I am either working at my local coffee shop singling espresso or traveling to SF to take photos. My other interests include knowing people's zodiac signs, signing along to my favorite song on long car rides and swimming in the ocean.
Tiana is a senior at San Jose State University and she is learning to take each day one step at a time while adjusting to life in the Bay Area. She's often watching YouTube videos on D.I.Y projects or hair care, but majority of the time she's watching Parks and Rec episodes while pretending to do homework. In the midst of all that homework dodging she's also casually planning her dream wedding.