This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

I am a person who really enjoys going to the gym because that is the way that I destress and it is something that brings me happiness. There is no better feeling than picking up a heavy weight that you once thought you would never be able to lift. 

The satisfaction that comes with hitting a new personal record (PR). For me, weightlifting pushes me past my limits and challenges me both mentally and physically. 

In California, there are competitions in which people can compete to display their strength in three core lifts: squats, deadlifts, and bench press. These are known as powerlifting competitions.

In powerlifting competitions, each person has three attempts to lift as much weight as possible for one repetition. 

This means that for each exercise, the athlete has three attempts to lift the weight. The competitors are divided into categories based on their age, weight, and gender.

The highest total weight determines the winner, this means that the judges sum up the highest weight they were able to lift for each exercise and then add it up. 

The main critique that the referees focus on when it comes to powerlifting competitions is ensuring that the competitors use the correct form. The judging system consists of three referees.

These referees use a light system to determine whether the lift was valid, white light, or invalid, red light. The referees simultaneously display their decision following the athlete’s lift. 

Additionally, correct equipment and attire have to be met in order for athletes to compete. The right attire consists of a singlet with straps that remain over the shoulder and socks that are above the calf and below the knee.

Each competitor also takes their own equipment such as their lifting belts, knee sleeves, and lifting straps. This equipment must be in accordance with the rules and regulations of the meet. 

Some amazing female powerlifters that thoroughly impress me are Amanda Lawrance, Tamara Walcott, Olivia Graham and many more. 

Here is a look into Walcott’s powerlifting competition.

In this interview with Guinness World Records, Walcott states that she is “reinventing the expectations of what women can do”. It’s always so gratifying to see the limits that women can push themselves to do when it comes to weightlifting. 

Let us know your thoughts on women who weightlift at @HerCampusSJSU!

Hello, my name is Ariana and I am a sophomore at San Jose State University. I am a business major and in my free time, I love weightlifting at the gym. Let's be friends! Instagram: axoliva