This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

For the last couple of years, I’ve stopped making unrealistic new year’s resolutions that never work out for me. I decided to keep it simple by coming up with achievable and measurable short and long-term goals for the year. 

As a visual person, I enjoy creating a vision board that I can look at daily. I currently have mine as my laptop screensaver because I look at it every day. I’ve already booked my spring break trip to New York and my vision board motivated me to go for it! 

Starting a vision board can be intimidating and difficult, but here’s how I did it:

The First Step

First, think of some things you want to do or see for this year and write them down. Examples are places you’d like to visit, things you want to incorporate into your daily routine, and things you want to learn. One of my vision board topics is self-love, so I asked myself, “what are some things I need to do to build my confidence and love myself?” Some things I wrote down are “skincare,” “going to the gym,” and  “finding my style.”

Find Pictures

Once you’ve thought about these goals, you can go to Pinterest and Google, and find pictures that relate to them. I want to visit New York this year, so I selected pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge and Empire State Building for my vision board. I created a Pinterest board to compile my pictures. Once you’ve compiled these photos, save them and create your collage. If you search “vision board” on Canva, some templates come up but you can customize it to your liking. I added some words that resemble topics on a vision board like “travel” and “self-love.” Figure out where you want to put it, and make sure you create it to those dimensions. 

Happy Moments

One thing I did to make my vision board more fun and exciting was adding small activities that I want to do this year to make me happy and avoid burnout. These activities are to capture moments and go on beach picnics. I just got an iPhone 13 Pro, so I want to create more reels of my adventures and take more pictures. I also added 2 quotes that resonated the most with me for this year: one quote is about being in my 20s and the other is about being a girl boss. Think of things that make you happy and include them on your vision board! Once you become a busy bee, these things can easily be set aside but you’ll be reminded of them by looking at them every day. 

Make it Your Own

As you can tell, I went with an unconventional route for my vision board by asking myself guiding questions. Another way to start is to come up with topics in your life that you want to work on in 2022. Some common vision board topics and themes are love, career, friendships, travel, health, learning, family, etc. You can decide whether you want topics on your board or general themes. A vision board is completely customized to your life and what you want to accomplish in the next year. 

Good luck and happy vision board making! Tag @HerCampusSJSU in your 2022 vision boards!

My name is Sachi and I'm a Marketing Major at SJSU and I love photography, going on new adventures, and doing anything creative!