This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Being a woman comes with its tribulations, and one of them is reproductive health. While the IUD is the most low-maintenance form of birth control, it is also the most painful. As reports show, women state that the IUD is more painful than medical professionals indicate. Throughout history, women have advocated for better medical experience and access. Conversations about the reality of the IUD are necessary to continue having healthy relationships between women and their medical health. 

The Woman’s Health Movement, or WHM, founded in the 1960s and 1970s , focused on general health. In the 1980s, there was a shift to focus on reproductive health, and it was revitalized by Margaret Sanger, the mother of WHM and founder of Planned Parenthood. With her movement and innovation, she created a space where women could safely have reproductive autonomy and control. 

Today, there are many options for birth control, including the birth control pill, the Derma hormonal shot, the Nexplanon rod, the birth control ring, and the IUD. Visit Planned Parenthood’s website to learn about the many different contraceptive options available. There you will learn about the advantages and disadvantages of each option, as well as how they are intended to prevent conception.

Side Effects

Today there is more transparency about the side effects of each method, although not much change is being made in the manufacturing of these hormonal methods. Unfortunately, many forms of birth control have the risk of long-term health issues, including cervical cancer, reproductive problems, and mental health conditions. 

I have tried three forms of birth control — condoms, the pill, and the birth control ring. Both hormonal methods aided in menstrual cycle regulation; however, in my experience, they also caused challenges with mental health  like bad mood swings and depression. This is a reality for so many women, and the solution is usually to change their birth control method and trade off side effects. 

The IUD Hurts!

The IUD has an incredibly painful insertion process and is known to cause side effects after the procedure. In a study, researchers Karla Maguire, Kathleen Morell, Carolyn Westoff, and Anne Davis found that doctors underestimate women’s pain during IUD insertion by nearly 30%. Through numerous interviews and studies, women have testified that the pain of an IUD insertion is unbearable, and doctors do little to subsidize the pain. 

Many will suggest taking Ibuprofen before the procedure; however, research suggests that there is little evidence to support that it aids in reducing the pain. This topic has become more prevalent in women’s health over the last 3-4 years, and doctors and medical professionals have been more transparent about the reality of the pain level and side effects. These conversations are the beginning of change and reform. 

While medical professionals are holding themselves more accountable and taking women’s voices into account, the solution is in the hands of women themselves. Women’s Suffrage and the Women’s Health Movement have progressed society because thousands of women came together to demand justice. Having more conversations about the reality of women’s health and calling attention to what needs to change are just a few ways we can see change in this area.

How are doctors going to make the IUD insertion process less painful? How can we make women’s experiences with health and wellness more peaceful? Share your thoughts @HerCampusSJSU!

My name is Loghann and I am a second year Marine Biology major. I am passionate about about the environment and social justice. I am so excited to share my writing with you.