Boost Your Mood (ft. nostalgic Disney Channel songs)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

qtqK4 zXeXZ8sWvJm1opqd0pQt6RMpS9cgxLU89GVp6UpFdBVvB1X2XozT9QErWYfXdxisGuSGadRfxV95fjLTt9nDgUvAP3y73G0qTzpq

Favorite songs from Disney Channel Original Movies album. Image from Disney.fandom.com

Nostalgia, we’ve all had that feeling. That feeling of remembering the past and reminiscing moments where everything seemed easier, better, and overall more carefree. My nostalgia stems from the portrait photography and travel vlogs I like to take for fun, but the main feeling comes from teen pop songs, specifically from Disney Channel. Being surrounded by music my whole life, I’ve found it to be incredibly stress-relieving and an instant mood booster. Listening to these songs have helped me calm down before nerve wracking events like a big exam, presentation, or interview. While I would love to list out the tens of songs I listen to on a daily basis, here are some of my favorites when you need to feel that sense of motivation and confidence again. 

Cruisin’ for a Bruisin’- Teen Beach Movie

Talk about a throwback! This song is mixed with rock & roll, pop rock, and a whole lot of beach vibes. The catchy beat along with the fun choreography from the cast immediately gets you up on your feet to dance along. Sometimes, you just need a fun and wholesome song to get you loose. This song in particular just gave it an energy that brings me back to my childhood, and I forget about reality for a couple minutes. We all need at least one feel-good song in our lives.

hShRlFFyaFq8aw8bQjYBItPNxf8YE fc 7 l nu9AKd9bwJ8SmZ0aUsfoAnWF46fP9Y2mKP5O aFQ9

Teen Beach Movie cast dancing. Image from Pinterest.com

Cloud 9 – Cloud 9

Straight from one of the most underrated Disney Channel movies of all time (in my opinion), this song inspires you to reach for your goals. I love listening to this whenever I need a motivational boost. To Kayla, her passion is snowboarding, and she worked so hard to achieve her dreams throughout the film. When you love something so much, you do whatever it takes to reach that goal, and I love their message of working on true passions to get to that feeling of being on “cloud 9”. As I go further along in my professional development, I hope to end up feeling content and happy in what I do. 

XFW m2Eqm0Byfr3 tgdzWvsFnto9uVFACmRdYNKsmyLkYnRM1MDEWKkp cKsogf2RwNXASK1kiKIjOLS7zueakGN2xaxna1aCanqXaJD3jY5VCPlJ v b1F33PzQ64IPz0 R2 DZN0wYLMtw

Cloud 9 promotional poster. Image from Incluvie.com

Can’t Back Down – Camp Rock 2

This is one of my top motivational Disney Channel songs. Even with the “cringey” choreography, there is no denying that the song encourages you to keep going on your path. I turned on this song when I was on the brink of failing some classes my first year of college, and I got the motivation to keep going because I knew that I could achieve anything I wanted to if I put my mind to it. Nowadays, I like to put this song on play whenever I need a quick motivational boost for presentations or speeches. 

Dkyx47FmwSw9G5gKqJktx7Tech7FmqPziQXo5vCDMFqy6cNwcU25SZYti7yIlkNZa HFvsCWIeL4dvtlSZOdjf NHZVYF1A9rhTGD9CipMruweVTN8OnNMrFOKjxqQSr0fcLm

Demi Lovato dancing in “Can’t Back Down”. Image from Disney.fandom.com

Determinate – Lemonade Mouth

Still loved by people all over the world 11 years later, “Determinate” keeps those spirits up and brings a different level of joy. There is only one song from the film presented here, but I recommend listening to the entire album. This song includes so many different voices that blend together seamlessly. There is another type of feeling when you hear a group singing a song together; I get this feeling that I’m not alone and that there are people around me who care about me. An instant smile goes on my face whenever this song plays. Did I mention how much I appreciate their diverse cast? 

GjVMymGSRWsYcK0uQ5RB2a6CqzMxA5PKP75rspkOeFoVGvWl2c NIbJrVUvz1DSMI1KMAR5dGo50ne3GaawpgNiIr2PVHi7p4N sScTEl9pFIqoEqSoOIQFPt

Lemonade Mouth band practice. Image from Mtv.com

Send It On – Disney’s Friends for Change

I could not leave this iconic group of individuals behind. Sung by Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and the Jonas Brothers, this has never failed in making me feel like I am a part of something bigger and that I matter. While this song isn’t as lively or upbeat as the other songs listed, their message in being there for one another to lend a hand is beautiful and powerful. We may feel like we are just one person, but together we can be so much more. The music video highlights the entire group singing together, hanging out, and being happy to be in each other’s presence. I am absolutely obsessed with the harmonies and belts in here, and I find myself singing along with them each time.

nT51vSoHH5CLbxvl2vRd5izQVILK Jbjz8qbpS2asqz xGjFFVQa

Disney’s Friends for Change. Image from Google.com

What Time Is It – High School Musical 2

This iconic bop is perfect for blasting on that last day of school before summer break. As the semester comes to an end, we are starting to clear our schedules and make the most out of break. Instead of the other songs that motivate you to keep working and reach your goals, this one just has you get up and be free. I still remember the time my friends and I would visit the pool after the last day of school and jam along to this song. The vocals, background harmonies, choreography, and production are top tier. I still wish my high school burst into song as soon as that last bell rang. 

9DS4l5a3IhXHxZPsEBLcc5mcwBSbtDYqJZvEqgl3eb3fcNQVGJfQoRYTA1vS9alv7njtGgAn5JzIYqOvePDEpEaPVoQ n42vNx702LOmK

East High students with hands up excited for summer. Image from Genius.com

I urge you to blast some of that nostalgic music you know and love. Whether it’s from Disney, Nickelodeon, or anywhere else, I assure you that it will be an instant mood booster. If you’re feeling slumped or down, turn on that song, get up, and start dancin’!

What are your all time favorite Disney Channel songs? Let us know by tagging us on Instagram, @HerCampusSJSU! 

Hi! I'm Janice, and I'm a fourth year business marketing major at SJSU. I love exploring new food places, hanging out with friends, video games, reading and doing portrait photography. Thank you for reading through my stories!