Black Women Deserve Recognition For The Body Positivity Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The beauty and fashion industry have always depended on Black communities. The body-positive movement is no different. Black women have been celebrating their bodies and curves for a long time- so much so, it was created into a revolutionary movement. A movement that Black women were quickly left out of once it reached popular media.

When you think of body positivity, what do you think of? Curvy, pear-shaped white girls. A majority of Instagram’s favorite body-positive models are curvy white women. Although these activists are spreading a good message, they- along with society- rarely give space in their platforms for their Black counterparts to shine. When did Black women get left behind of their own movement?

Offline and online media were quick to glamorize “body positivity” with the faces of white activists. Take a look at Melissa McCarthy, Rebel Wilson and Adele. But when do we see their Black counterparts? When do we see Gabby Sidibe, Amber Riley or even Mo’Nique being celebrated the same way?

In an article for Wear Your Voice, writer Ashleigh Shackelford wrote about the problem that the body positive movement developed. She said,

“Fat women and femmes of color are ignored, while those who are lighter-skinned are hyper-humanized. This works in conjunction with fatphobia. Darker-skinned fat Black women and femmes are demonized and juxtaposed as the direct opposite of the beauty standards that promote white, thin, femme bodies as a universal goal.”

Ravneet Vohra started the Wear Your Voice magazine because of this issue in the body positivity movement, so it can highlight all the Black influencers that were left behind during the movement’s popularity.

The online magazine started a new hashtag that can be shared on social media: #bodypositiveincolor. The hashtag was created in hopes of shedding light to Black and Brown body-positive influencers, not just white ones.

So what can we do?

Vohra recommends using your social media platforms to support Black and Brown body-positive creators. For every white influencer you follow, add a Black or Brown one to the list. And when you think of the body-positive movement, don’t just think of Melissa McCarthy. Also, think of Lizzo.

Hello! My name is Fernanda. I'm a graduating senior at SJSU! I am studying Political Science and Journalism in hopes to better the world through my writing. I love to use the magic of words to bring awareness to social issues and to provide a platform to showcase others' talents.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah