Best Christmas Songs to Get You Into the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Once the turkey has been carved and everyone is sitting in a food-induced coma on the couch watching football, the transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas has officially begun. If you think I’m bluffing, just go to any local mall on Black Friday and you will see Christmas trees of every size lining the busy halls and Christmas carols blasting from every speaker. Once Thanksgiving day is over, it’s Christmas time. I don’t make the rules around here, it just is. If you are like me and cannot wait to break out the advent calendar once December rolls around and starts playing Christmas music in September, then this list of perfect holiday songs is for you. If you cannot handle the holidays but want to try and get into the Christmas spirit anyways, this list is also for you. Below are my top ten favorite holiday songs that never fail to put me into the holiday spirit:

The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You) by Nat King Cole- Ever since I can remember, this song has always been my number one favorite holiday song. Why you may ask? First of all, Nat King Cole has the most soothing voice and secondly this song just puts me into a Christmas mood. I want to roast chestnuts over an open fire and bundle up with loved ones while I listen to this song. A true Christmas classic that can even put Scrooge into the holiday spirit.

everseradio.com

It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams- Another Christmas song that can always make me jump for joy. This song definitely has a musical production quality to it, which makes it a fun one to sing along to in the car on the way to grandma’s house for the holidays or to belt out while drinking eggnog at the office holiday party.

Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee– The perfect tune to listen to while you decorate the tree or are just laying underneath it, basking in all of its Christmas glory.

365 Days of Music City

Silver Bells by Stevie Wonder– Even though this song has been redone by countless artists, my favorite rendition is the one by the fantastic Stevie Wonder. This rendition definitely makes you want to drive to the city during the holiday season and look at all of the stores adorned in Christmas attire.

All I Want for Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey– What holiday playlist would be complete without the oh-so famous ballad by the amazing Mariah Carey? You can be certain that you will hear this song multiple times over the course of the holiday season, whether it be in the mall, while your driving to Christmas dinner or when you’re watching your favorite holiday movie. Nevertheless, this song is an instant classic and will put anyone into the cheery Christmas mood.

Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra– Ever wish you could hear a hard rock version of your favorite Christmas classic? Look no further than the Christmas albums made by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Most of their holiday songs incorporate drums, guitar and electric violins into their renditions of Christmas classics and make for a different but well appreciated mood to any holiday party.

O Holy Night by Celine Dion– Basically anyone who sings this classic does it justice, but when Ms. Dion hits that high note at the end, I get the chills. A good one to listen and try to sing along to while you’re stuck in holiday traffic.

It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas by Michael Bublé– I think most lovers of Christmas can agree that Michael Bublé put out one of the best holiday albums a few years ago and scorches up the Christmas music charts whenever the holidays arrive. His sultry, jazzy voice can do no wrong, especially when it comes to holiday tunes.

Last Christmas by Wham!– A true iconic Christmas song since it is played in almost every era-based holiday movie and now  in Stranger Things. Even though it’s supposed to be a song about someone doing another wrong on the holidays, I always find myself belting it out with a smile on my face.

genius.com

A Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives– If you are like me and also love old Christmas movies as much as carols, then you probably remember this one from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. A true holiday classic from an even more classic holiday film.

Enjoy these holiday tunes at any point of the year, not just when Christmas time rolls around!

Hey there, my name is Taylor Jones! I am a senior at San Jose State majoring in journalism with an emphasis in photography. When I am not working on my school's broadcast team, I am either working at my local coffee shop singling espresso or traveling to SF to take photos. My other interests include knowing people's zodiac signs, signing along to my favorite song on long car rides and swimming in the ocean.
Tiana is a senior at San Jose State University and she is learning to take each day one step at a time while adjusting to life in the Bay Area. She's often watching YouTube videos on D.I.Y projects or hair care, but majority of the time she's watching Parks and Rec episodes while pretending to do homework. In the midst of all that homework dodging she's also casually planning her dream wedding.