This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As most of you are already aware, I am a huge fan of boy bands. Some may be surprised that I am also a passionate listener of 1990s R&B. 

As a child, I recall my father listening to 90s R&B stations in the car on my way to school or my mother actively watching TLC’s “No Scrubs” on YouTube during her spare time. 

As I grew older, I appreciated more of the music my parents admired. I also realized I looked up to most of these singers because I saw myself in them, someone who unapologetically embraced their Black identity, whether through their music or stage presence.

Through this article, I hope to express my admiration for these groups, albeit 20+ years too late! Here are some of my favorites:

Destiny’s Child:

In 1990, Beyonce Knowles and LaTavia Roberson founded Destiny’s Child in Houston, Texas. The girls promoted under the name Girl’s Tyme, along with members LeToya Luckett and Kelly Rowland. After years of mediocre success, the group’s big break came in 1996, when Columbia Records offered them a recording contract under the new name Destiny’s Child. 

With the release of their second album, The Writing’s on the Wall, Destiny’s Child rose to superstardom. The album includes some of my favorite songs of all time, such as “Say My Name”, “So Good”, and “Bills, Bills, Bills”. 

Following some lineup changes, the most recognizable version of the group consisted of Knowles, Rowland, and the newly added member, Michelle Williams. 

Throughout their career, Destiny’s Childs sold over 60 million records worldwide, were nominated for 14 Grammy awards, ranked as the ninth most successful artist/band of the 2000s by Billboard, and were also ranked 68th in its All-Time Hot 100 Artists list in 2008. 

Within most of their songs, Destiny’s Child emphasized the messages of female empowerment, independence, female friendships, and embracing their Christian faith. 

TLC:

Made up of Tionne “T-Boz” Watkins, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, and Ronzonda “Chilli” Thomas, TLC’s sound was heavily influenced by classic 90s hip-hop and pop. The band released their first album, “Ooooooohhh… On the TLC Tip”, on February 25, 1992. 

The group was initially well-received by audiences, and with the release of their second album, CrazySexyCool, in 1994, the group earned the title of one of America’s most popular girl groups. 

The album became the only work by a female group to receive a diamond certification from the Recording Industry Association of America and earned the group two Grammy awards. 

TLC is by far my favorite girl group; the group often discussed the importance of independence and female empowerment, similar to Destiny’s Child, but the group also tackled social issues, promoting safe sex, anti-drug, HIV/AIDS prevention, and defying gender norms through their fashion. 

The group’s style frequently shifted between more “tomboyish” looks in some of their earlier works and more feminine wear later on.

If you’re ever looking for new songs to add to your playlist, I recommend trying out “No Scrubs”, “What about your friends”, “Waterfalls”, “Hat 2 da Back”, and “My life”!

Soul For Real:

Soul For Real is an R&B quartet that consists of brothers: Christopher Sherman Dalyrimple (Choc), Andre Lamont Dalyrimple (KD now), Brian Augustus Dalyrimple, and Jason Oliver Dalyrimple (Jase4Real). 

There is not much information about the group’s history, but they were formed in 1992 and officially made their debut in 1995 with the song, “Candy Rain”, after signing a record deal with Uptown Records.

Every Little Thing I Do” and “Candy Rain are two of my favorite 90s album tracks, and I highly recommend you check them out if you haven’t already!

SWV:

Sisters with Voices, abbreviated SWV, is a trio group formed in 1988. The group’s line-up consists of members: Cheryl Gamble (Coko), Tamara Johnson, and Leanne Lyons (Lelee). 

The group began as a gospel band but gradually evolved into an R&B and soul-infused group. 

SWV had “a string of top ten R&B hits including: ‘I’m So Into You,’ ‘Right Here,’ ‘Downtown,’ ‘Weak,’ and ‘You’re Always On My Mind,” according to the group’s website

The group went on to receive 11 Billboard nominations and a Grammy nomination for their debut album, two platinum albums in “New Beginning” and “It’s About Time”, and numerous other accolades.

Some of my favorite works by them are also some of my mother’s favorite songs, which include  “You’re The One”, “I’m So Into you”, and “Right Here (Human Nature Remix)”. 

Fun fact: SWV was granted permission to use a sample of Michael Jackson’s “Human Nature” within the remix version of “Right Here”.

Despite the fact that I was not born during the 1990s, I have a strong attachment to the music that was released at the time. 

I’ve always felt a sense of comfort looking back at the Black creativity then and how most of the groups I mentioned helped to welcome aspects of Black culture all over the world. 

I hope to continue finding inspiration from these artists in the future, and that they will be recognized for their impact more frequently!

What are some of your favorite ‘90s artists? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU!

Siobhan Robinson is a member of the Her Campus national writing program. She works on the entertainment and culture team, covering the most recent pop culture events, trends, and entertainment releases. Previously, she worked as an Entertainment and Culture intern during the Spring 2023 semester, where she was supervised in writing breaking news verticals, live coverage of events such as the Grammys and Met Gala, and interviewing emerging Gen Z talent for Her Campus's "Next Questions" segment. She is currently a fourth-year communication studies student at San Jose State University. She is also a member of the SJSU chapter of Her Campus, where she presently serves as Editor-In-Chief, supervising a staff of writers, senior editors, and copy editors and assessing their articles for the site. She previously worked as a senior editor for the chapter and assisted in editing the work of a team of 4-5 writers. In her free time, Siobhan enjoys scrapbooking, hanging out with her friends, going to concerts, and, of course, writing for fun! She's a die-hard fangirl who will tell you everything she knows about her favorite boybands even if you don't ask.