This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Good new music has never been easier to find than it is now, with streaming services making music more accessible and building algorithms to recommend music based on your tastes. However, it’s also nice to venture out of your usual genres and listen to what else is out there. Here are five songs and artists that cover a nice selection of genres that anyone can vibe with.

1. Earthgang – “Top Down”

Earthgang is a rap duo from Atlanta, Georgia with a unique musical style that led them to be signed to J. Cole’s Dreamville Records. They have released three EPs (Rags, Robots, and Royalty) and released their debut album, Mirrorland, in 2019. “Top Down” is the third song in Mirrorland, which has a Sesame Street-Esque chorus with a smooth guitar and an 808 bass in the background. Doctur Dot and Johnny Venus bring their signature vocal inflections, and Johnny Venus sings the chorus. The song takes place in the titular place of Mirrorland, where Dot and Venus drive around Atlanta, running from the police and doing whatever they please. It’s a psychedelic song that is fun to dance and sing along to.

2. Jerry Paper – “Everything Borrowed”

Jerry Paper is a nonbinary musician from Los Angeles who began producing music in 2009. After being signed to the Stones Throw Records in 2018, they released the album Like a Baby later in October of the same year. The album delves into topics such as anxiety and consumerism. “Everything Borrowed” is a groovy song about how we don’t own, but rather borrow everything we buy. They even go as far as to say that we all live on borrowed time. While the meaning of the song can be quite dark, the production has a groovy and kooky vibe to it that anyone can get into.

3. Remi Wolf – “Disco Man”

Remi Wolf is a 24-year-old artist from the Bay Area. While still a high school senior, Wolf auditioned for American Idol and her performance ended up airing in the 2014 season. After high school, she moved to Los Angeles for college, where she studied music theory and history. It’s there where she began to write her own songs. Wolf’s trippy, kaleidoscopic music is what she calls “funky soul-pop”. Her music videos reflect her upbeat energy as well. “Disco Man” is the perfect dance party song! The main chorus is so catchy, you’ll find yourself singing and humming it days after your first listen.

4. Brahny – “Paradise”

Not much is known about Brahny. We know he is a producer/artist from Mississauga, Toronto, and his music is a blend of R&B, jazz, and folk. According to Onestowatch.com, “Brahny is very much connected to his Chinese heritage as his cultural background inspires his creativity when it comes to branding and aesthetics.” “Paradise” is Brahny’s first official single off his EP Moon. It’s an almost nostalgic song, with soft breathless vocals and sparkling synths. The song itself is about how initial love, or the “honeymoon phase”, may seem perfect, but is always short-lived and complications. It’s the perfect mellow song to just vibe with.

5. Thundercat – “Them Changes”

Thundercat is an American musician, record producer, singer and songwriter from Los Angeles, California. He is the go-to bassist for many of your favorite artists, including Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown and Mac Miller. His bass playing is intense and beautiful. He makes bass playing look easy! This is probably because he was born into a family of accomplished musicians, his father, youngest brother, and oldest brother all being Grammy-nominated drummers and keyboardists. Thundercat has an extensive discography, but I want to highlight his solo music. Thundercat’s song “Them Changes” is a funky, soulful song about heartbreak. It’s deep, and the smooth vocals make the song a real pleasure to listen to. It was also recently trending as an audio on TikTok!

Give any of these songs a listen? Let us know! Tag us on Twitter or Instagram @HerCampusSJSU!

Hey, my name is Joanna but I go by Joe. I’m a Journalism major at SJSU. I love music, plants, photography, and writing.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah