someone in sjsu sweatshirt holding up keys and pepper spray
Original photo by Johanna Sien

5 Self-Defense Weapons You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

In a perfect world, you would never have to use these products. However, if you’re reading this, chances are you like to be prepared for the worst. I understand how overwhelming it may feel to realize the potential dangers in the world, but one of these products could make a big difference. Once you reach the age of 18, you should be able to purchase these products on your own.

1. Seatbelt Cutter & Window Glass Breaker

In the event your seatbelt or your car door is jammed, this device can help you escape in seconds. Resqme sells this device as a keychain on their website.

2. Personal Alarm

With a push of a button, you could make a sound as loud as your car alarm. This gadget is smaller than the palm of your hand but louder than a yell. Some companies even sell personal alarms with a discreet design. Sabre sells their alarms in pink to partner with the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Proceeds from their pink sales have been sent towards the foundation.

blue sky with two people looking at the sunset
Original photo by Johanna Sien

3. Nightcap Scrunchie

Keep your drink safe with a Nightcap Scrunchie. This product is made to specifically protect your drinks from spiking. In order to use it all you need to do is pull the cap from the scrunchie and stretch the cover over the top of your drink. The material will fit an average-sized drink but might not fit smaller ones, such as a shot.

4. Kuba-Kuckz or Guarded Ring

If you like to exercise light but still want the assurance of your safety, these two products could work for you. Kuba-Kickz inserts are designed for laced shoes in order to intensify a self-defense kick. As an alternative, you can also purchase a Go Guarded ring. These rings sharpen once you make a fist, forming an extended claw.

one foot in a high top white converse and the other out
Original photo by Johanna Sien

5. Smart Jewelry

Smart jewelry is much higher in price, ranging from $40 to $150. Invisawear provides customers with popular, discreet designs for necklaces, earrings and bracelets. By pressing a built-in button, you can signal for help to five preset contacts and notify them of your location. The smart jewelry works with a partnered app that allows users to set up their contacts and alarm settings. Fortunately, these products do not need to be recharged.

Make sure to choose the self-defense product you feel the most comfortable with. In general, all these products are designed to work within seconds of you using it. Although these products are only meant to be used in cases of self-defense, having one of them can increase your feeling of security.

Hi! My name is Camyll and I'm a sophomore at San Jose State University pursuing Public Relations.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah