Style > Fashion

5 Halloween Costume Trends to Try This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Since we were in lockdown during Halloween last year, you know everyone is about to pop off this year with some really cool costumes. With all the popular movies and TV shows that have come out recently, we know we are going to be seeing their influence on Halloween night! Here are 5 Halloween costume ideas to inspire your iconic look this Halloween. 

1. Squid Game Characters

You already know this one had to be included. With 95% rotten tomatoes, Squid Game is the most popular show to watch right now. Some characters that people might be dressing up as are the players with green tracksuits, the guards in pink jumpsuits, the giant doll from episode one, and the man in the black. If you think these costumes are for you, get the squid game mask here

1. Money Heist Robber

With season 5 coming out earlier this year, “Money Heist” regained its popularity. It is also a very easy and inexpensive costume. The only things needed are a red jumpsuit and a Salvador Dali mask to match the robbers in the show. 

1. Cruella De Ville

The live-action movie, “Cruella” was released on May 28, 2021, and there are so many looks to choose from exhibited by the main character, Estelle, in the movie. You would definitely need a half black and half white wig for this one and either a red or black dress. 

1. Black Widow

If you like Marvel, this one is for you. Another movie that was released in 2021 was Marvel Studios’ “Black Widow”. Her most popular outfits in the movie are the black and gold suit and the white and black suit. If you can dress like one of her movie posters, you’ve nailed it. 

1. Shang Chi

Another Marvel character that will be a popular Halloween costume this year is Shang Chi from “Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings”. You can dress as Shang Chi himself or many other characters in the movie like Katy or Xialing.

Other fun costume ideas for this year are Wanda (aka Scarlett Witch), Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad, and Kim Kardashian at the MET Gala. 

Get creative this Halloween and tag @Hercampussjsu with your costume look for this year! 

My name is Sachi and I'm a Marketing Major at SJSU and I love photography, going on new adventures, and doing anything creative!