photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

5 Grool Lessons I Learned from Mean Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Mean Girls might have come out 13 years ago, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the most iconic movies of my generation. Besides being able to quote the entire movie, there are a several things that I learned from Mean Girls that have stuck with me ever since. Watching Mean Girls was a rite of passage into womanhood. Below are some of the most important lessons Mean Girls taught me about surviving high school and life in general.

1. Don’t judge a book by its cover

Blind judgment was a reoccurring theme in Mean Girls. Despite our best efforts, we all judge others. Remember when Cady walked up to a group of black students and said “Jambo.” When you judge a book by it’s cover you not only embarrass yourself, but you could possibly offend others. There is more than meets the eye and it is best to get to know someone before you make any  assumptions.

2. Don’t dumb yourself down just to get a cute guy’s attention

As Miss Norbury once said, “You don’t have to dumb yourself down in order for a guy to like you.” Intelligence is a remarkable gift and no one should take that away from you, not even that cute boy in your math class. Remember ladies, smart women intimidate boys and excite men. Women should never be afraid of being smart.  

3. Don’t let the haters stop you from doing your thang

Miss Norbury isn’t the only one in Mean Girls that drops truth bombs. Kevin G is also pretty wise and unapologetic. In the film he tells Cady, “Don’t let the haters stop you from doing your thang.” These are words I now live by. Society will try to peer pressure you into doing (or not doing) things you want to do. Everyone is going to judge you, might as well do what you want. Yeah, GET SOME!  

4. Apologize when you know you’re wrong

We know Miss Norbury and Kevin G had some wise words to say throughout the film, but Cady Heron was known to give some good advice as well. “When you get bit by a snake, you have to suck out the poison.” And that is essentially what an apology does. Admitting you’ve done something wrong can be difficult and flat out embarrassing, but it’s the right thing to do. This might have been one of the most important lessons I learned from this film. While some people might just take the crown and go, apologies are important and it shows a level of maturity.  

5. You are who you hangout with

I can’t stress this enough, be selective in choosing your friends. You don’t want to be seen with someone who could potentially ruin your reputation. That’s social suicide! Make sure they are people who positively impact and help you grow as a person. Remember, you are who you hangout with.

Once upon a time, I was a little girl with big dreams that I promised myself to make real one day. That little girl with dreams became a woman with a vision. Hello! My name is Jocelyn Arellano. I am a Senior at San Jose State University who is studying Psychology and Public Relations. I discovered my love for writing at a young age. My thoughts were translated into a journal I kept by my bedside, then I took it online to (you guessed it!) MySpace, after that it was on Facebook, fast forward I took my thoughts onto LinkedIn and finally onto HerCampus! If my writing empowers at least one person, I have done my job :) Everything I do, I do like a girl! Feel free to follow me on Twitter (@_ajocelyn) #LikeaGirl #GRLPWR
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.