This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As someone who really loves reading, I have a different hobby along with it: buying books and adding them to my to-be-read list. Though I haven’t read many of these authors, they’re coming up in my TBR, and I’m excited, especially because I have heard so many good things about all of them!

So let’s get started:

1. Angie Thomas

This one is a given, but she is still worth mentioning. She is mostly known for her novel, The Hate U Give, but she has a couple more novels worth mentioning. On The Come Up and Concrete Rose are also on her bibliography as well.

2. Roseanne A. Brown

If you’re into fantasy, Roseanne A. Brown’s A Song of Wraiths and Ruin is the way to go. It’s based in West Africa, so it is full of African richness. I’m super excited to read this one.

3. Michelle Obama

Becoming has been out for a while, but if you’re interested in a nonfiction story, please read this one. Her writing is so beautiful, and it’s very interesting to see the world and life through her eyes.

4. Bethany C. Marrow

Her novel A Song Below Water is a modern fantasy about black sirens. This one, I’m particularly excited to read because I just finished a novel about a girl who is half-siren. Oh, and the cover work is absolutely beautiful too!

5. Francine Simone

Her novel Smash It! is a coming-of-age novel about a girl that just says ‘F*ck it!’, so she can live her life to the fullest. I’m excited for this one because I feel like it will be something so refreshing.  

Make sure to check out Black authors to add to your library! If you bought any of these books or have anymore suggestions, feel free to tag us on Instagram @HerCampusSJSU!

Happy reading!

Hi! My name is Gabriella, but I go by Gabbie. I’m a sophomore at San Jose State University as a double major in Journalism and Political Science. I hope to use my degree in helping the world become a better place. In the SJSU chapter, I am the senior editor for the magazine.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah