This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

For many of us, the start of a new semester means a new change of pace. . Whether you’re studying on campus or attending class online, we could all use some new music to help get us through it. Here’s a list of five songs to get your semester started off right.   

1. Freshman Year by High Sunn 

18-year-old Justin Cheromiah, better known by his stage name High Sunn, is an artist from the Bay Area. His music is heavily inspired by lo-fi bands on Bandcamp around 2014. Bandcamp, for those unaware of it, is a music streaming platform where musicians can post their music and be paid fairly for the work they do. Cheromiah started writing and producing his own music at the age of 14 when he received a Tascam 8 track for his birthday. Since then, High Sunn has gone on to make multiple single’s, EP’s, and LP’s. His most well-known EP, “Hopeless Romantic”, and LP, “Missed Connections”, were recorded with the help of his friends, who also perform with him on stage during his live shows.

His song “Freshman Year” of the full-length debut “Missed Connections” reminds me of the intro of a teen movie. The whole album itself is written in the mindset of a middle schooler who’s exploring romantic relationships, real and made up. This album is supposed to give you that young love and heartbreak type of feeling. The feeling of being dramatic and passionate at the thought of this new life experience. “Freshman Year” sounds like a new beginning. The catchy guitar riffs and bright drum pattern brings a vibe to the song that makes it so fun to listen to. Even with its angsty lyrics, this is a song that you can’t help but vibe to repeatedly. 

1. Where U’ Going Tonight by Mac Ayres 

Mac Ayres is a self-taught producer and multi-instrumentalist from New York. His music is a stylish blend of R&B, Soul, Hip-Hop, and Jazz. He was in choir for years and took singing lessons but his interest in creating music started when he was 10 after receiving a keyboard for Christmas. He eventually picked up and taught himself how to play more instruments, like bass and guitar, in high school. This interest in music led him to attend the competitive Berklee College of Music, which he eventually dropped out of to focus on his own artistry. Since then, he has released three EP’s and three full-length albums. 

The song “Where U’ Going Tonight” off his album “Magic 8ball” brings the nostalgia of classic 2000’s R&B. The first time I listened to it I was caught off guard, it drew me in and I enjoyed every second of it. When it ended, I had to re-listen to it to make sure I didn’t just imagine that experience. I’m a sucker for a funky bassline and this song has the best bass and the drums resemble a heartbeat. It’s a smooth fun song that will draw you in from beginning to end, it’s pure gold. 

1. Shadow on the Wall by Video Age 

Video Age is an 80’s pop and New Wave band from New Orleans composed of four members; Writing team/singers Ross Farbe and Ray Micarelli, keyboard player Duncan Troast, and bassist Nick Corson. In 2016, they released their first album, “Living Alone”, then in 2018 they released their second album “Pop Therapy”, after that they released their third studio album “Pleasure Line” in 2020. 

Their single “Shadow on the Wall” is a song about facing your fears according to Ray Micarelli. For the band, this song is a new sound, although they still have the same bouncy synth-pop, it also is their first time playing into the disco genre and they did not disappoint. This song is upbeat and a funky form of self-expression. It’s a great dance party type of song. 

1. Age of Machine by Greta Van Fleet 

If you have been on TikTok lately, you most likely have seen and heard the viral video of Greta Van Fleet’s performance on SNL floating around. The band is made up of 4 members; twin brothers Josh (vocals) and Jake Kiszka (guitar), their younger brother Sam Kiszka (bass/keys), and their friend Danny Wagner (drums). They’re from Michigan and were raised off of their parents’ classic vinyl collection made up of rock’n’roll, blues, and soul. This very obviously inspired the music they make today, the internet constantly gets them mistaken for the classic rock band Led Zeppelin. 

Their song “Age of Machine” off of their latest album “The Battle at Garden’s Gate” is a perfect example as to why people who are just hearing about the band become fans of them so quickly.  The song is really cinematic, it starts with a build up to Josh Kiszka’s powerful voice, where you get to really listen to his vocal range and just how impressive it is. The song is an amazing hybrid of rock and blues, I really recommend listening to them. 

Give any of these songs a listen? Let us know! Tag us on Twitter or Instagram @HerCampusSJSU!

Hey, my name is Joanna but I go by Joe. I’m a Journalism major at SJSU. I love music, plants, photography, and writing.