This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you haven’t had a clear thought since March. It has been hard, trying to focus on being productive all while balancing work, school and life amidst a global pandemic. It always feels like we’re on the run, working as fast as possible to meet deadlines and due dates. Slowing down can take a lot of willpower. But, you are not alone. Yeah, it seems repetitive, but I can assure you that I’m in the same car, driving as fast as I can to get away from the catastrophic explosion that has been 2020. Here are some of my tips and tricks to managing the stress and chaos.

Try Journaling!

I’ve kept a journal for about two years now and it’s my lifeline. It feels incredibly freeing to be able to scribble whatever I feel into my journal. Journaling can help change your mood instantly, as you can unload your feelings and thoughts. Not to mention, seeing what you’re struggling with on paper can give you a better grasp of how or what you’re feeling. Your journal doesn’t just have to be an outlet for frustration though. I have so many fun, giggly moments that I’ve written down from times when I felt truly myself.

Typically, I get my journal from a local department store like Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Target. They’re inexpensive and have cute options. If you’re looking to spend a little more, Barnes and Noble has the most aesthetically pleasing journals I have ever seen. But it does not have to be pretty! Your notebook is for you to write your thoughts in, and only for you.

We’re living through pretty historic times. Imagine reading these journal entries two years down the line. You’ll thank yourself for having given yourself a snapshot of your life at this moment.

Try to remove your phone from your morning routine!

Focus on you when you wake up. Do your morning routine, but eliminate the part where you’re scrolling through Instagram for an hour before you start your day. Instead, plan and try to make a timeline of the activities for the day. I started doing this, and I find myself feeling more awake in the morning and more prepared for my day. Social media can be the worst thing to wake up to. A constant feed of various content can leave you feeling scatterbrained and unmotivated. Try to focus on starting your day with intention and purpose, and incorporate your phone after you’ve started your day.

Try writing a To-Do List!

With a large workload, it’s easy to get lost in the abyss of school and work. A helpful trick is to write up a little to-do list to keep you organized for the week. I personally have a blank notebook dedicated to writing down my weekly schedule, assignments and plans. Have a paper due Wednesday and an interview to set up by Thursday? Write it down! If you prefer a more digital format, you can utilize the Notes app on your phone for the same purpose. Whatever method you choose, to-do lists are always helpful, and oftentimes rewarding as well. There is just something so satisfying about crossing off a task or checking a box on your to-do list.

Despite the situational chaos that college students are currently facing thanks to our new learning environment, we are learning to adapt and work in different ways. By utilizing some of these skills, managing a COVID-affected life may become a little easier.

I graduated from Palomar College with an associate's degree in Journalism. I love entertainment journalism. I hope to get into writing about the arts, whether it be television, movies, or broadway. In my free time, I play video games and write fictional characters for imaginary cartoons.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah