10 Plants to Have for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Planting is one of my favorite things to do, especially right now. Since COVID-19 and the state shutdown began, I knew I needed to keep myself preoccupied instead of stressing so much. It’s better for my mental health to focus on things that help me rather than what stresses me, and hopefully this list will help you as well.

1.    Succulents

These are some of the easier plants to take care of, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t something to be watered once and never again. Depending on which succulent you choose to keep, it could want a lot of sun or a little bit of sun. It could even want a lot of water or a little bit of water. Just know what you are getting and make sure to take care of it accordingly.

2.    Lettuce / Salad Greens

Lettuce grows quickly and is easy to harvest. The best thing though is that they take up little space so growing them in garden boxes or containers or even with other plants or flowers would be okay. They even grow with some shade which makes it easy.

3.    Cucumbers

Cucumbers are really nice to garden. They grow vertically which means they need something sturdy to attach themselves to. They like high sunlight and warm temperatures as well and a lot of water. 

4.    Carrots

These are easy to grow, but they need deep, well-drained soil. A raised bed will do. They also prefer more sun like most plants do.

5.    Sunflowers

Sunflowers are some of the easiest flowers to grow. They thrive in full sun and once they fully bloom, you can harvest their seeds to bake. I recommend growing them by your front door because they are considered the “happy flower” so it brings positive vibes into your home. As they get taller, make sure to give them some support to prevent bending and breaking.

6.    Marigolds   Marigolds are one of my favorite flowers and pretty easy to grow. They even grow quickly and they can repel mosquitoes. 

7.    Nasturtium

These flowers are quick growing and have edible flowers and seeds. They liked to be water regularly and in a lot of sunlight.

8.    Snapdragons

Snapdragons are some of the prettiest flowers in my opinion. They attract a lot of butterflies and they even give off cottage aesthetic vibes as well.

9.    Lavender

These are also some of my favorite. It’s technically an herb; they still look beautiful as flowers. It can keep mosquitoes away and if properly harvested and dried, lavender can be used as a spice in food and in sachets to keep your room smelling nice. The smell is also associated with relaxation and the calmness of your soul.

10.    Dahlias

Dahlias are one my all time favorite flowers (I even named one of my story characters after it). They come in several colors and have several different shapes. They can grow very tall as well.

Keep in mind that this is very vague information to sufficiently take care of your plants. Make sure you do your research before you commit to taking care of these plants. Enjoy gardening!  

Hi! My name is Gabriella, but I go by Gabbie. I’m a sophomore at San Jose State University as a double major in Journalism and Political Science. I hope to use my degree in helping the world become a better place. In the SJSU chapter, I am the senior editor for the magazine.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah