This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJC chapter.

“A best friend is someone who makes you laugh, even when you thought you would never smile again.”

(Photo- Andrea Tummons, Unsplash)

Think of your best friend.

Think of their kind eyes, contagious laugh and smile, sense of humor, and loving heart.

Picture your best friend standing right in front of you, giving you a sense of home.

This is the kind of best friend that you love like a sister (or brother) and would do absolutely anything for. Whether you grew up down the street from each other, or you sat next to each other in the cafe at work, the two of you instantly clicked and created a lifelong bond.

You see your bestie from afar and run into each other’s arms, squealing with excitement. (This is what my girl and I do). You tell them that you love them and that they look beautiful, and how you’re so happy to spend the day together. You gleam with excitement that your comfort blanket is with you.

Now let’s change the situation around a little bit-

You walk down the street to see your bestie waiting for you, ready to start your fun filled day together. After you hug each other, you step back. Instead of saying:

“I’ve missed you so much.or

“You look so beautiful!” or

“That outfit is adorable on you!”

You say:

“You could never pull of those jeans so why would you wear them today?”

“You look so FAT today… I’m so embarrassed.”

“You’re so dumb!”

“Why would you eat that? You haven’t had your workout yet…”

NO!

I would never, EVER think of saying those words to my best friend. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Now, if you never would think to say those hurtful words to your best friend, why would you say them to yourself?

I sometimes find that I negatively pick myself apart. We’re humans, we all do it. It’s not a new thing to us that a lot of social media and society today encourages “perfect people.” The truth is, no one is perfect. We need to stop with the negative self talk because it gets you nowhere.

Talk to yourself like you would talk to your best friend, because in the end you are your longest relationship.

and I said to my body. Softly. ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath. and replied ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this.” -Nayyirah Waheed

(Photo- Serrah Galos, Unsplash)

Born in NH---Based in Maine! Majoring in nursing at SJCME. 3 season athlete, always running around town! "Visualize your highest self. Start showing up as her."