Why You Should Join the Blue Monarch Pen Pal Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

For my leadership course this semester, I have been asked to create a PSA about any topic of my choice. I have chosen to write an article series about stalking and domestic violence in the US. This is very different from my typical article, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless. For my third article, I want to discuss the Blue Monarch organization and their pen pal program.

What is Blue Monarch?

Blue Monarch is a small christian community in Tennessee which focuses on rebuilding families. The group houses mothers and their children following events related to addiction, domestic violence, economic hardship, and other similar issues. The goal is to break the cycle, whatever the cycle may be, for women who want change and are committed to making it happen. Once at Blue Monarch, mothers and their children live in a therapeutic environment in order to enhance their relationship.

For more information about the hardships the mothers and children may have gone through, see my previous two articles about stalking and domestic violence.

The Pen Pal Program

Blue Monarch has created a pen pal program so the children living there can keep in touch with someone outside of the program. The goal is to create stability for kids who may not have had stability prior to moving to Blue Monarch. The letters let them know that there are people supporting them and it’s just a nice surprise in the mail every other week. Basically, you get to make a new friend and support them on their journey.

To apply to be a pen pal, you can visit the Blue Monarch website and fill out the necessary information.

Why be a Pen Pal?

Since we are all in quarantine right now, many of us are feeling lonely and isolated from those we love. Becoming a pen pal with someone is a great way to curb that feeling! You can send coloring pages for kids to send back to you completed, ask them about their favorite things and tell them yours, and small knick knacks for them to keep. My favorite part of being a pen pal is the excitement when I get a letter in the mail. I have participated in pen pal programs on and off since I was eight and it’s super rewarding. 

If Blue Monarch isn’t a good fit for you, there are tons of other websites which can match you with pen pals. You can write to someone in another country, someone who speaks a different language, or even someone nearby. It’s all about connecting with someone the old fashioned way.   

Hayden is a junior at Simmons University studying Psychology and History. She loves to read, write, knit, and sing. She also loves watching RuPaul's Drag Race, Criminal Minds, and Jurassic Park. Hayden is working towards a possible career in correctional/criminal or child psychology.
Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen