This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Whenever I go shopping for some new beauty products, I tend to see the words ‘green’ and ‘eco-friendly’ splattered across more and more of the products in the aisles. It seems that companies are beginning to pick up on consumer-conscious choices to invest in natural and green beauty items. In fact, a 2017 Harris Poll reported that 73% of millennial women say they seek out more green, all-natural products. But what does that even mean?

‘Green’ beauty is a recently coined term used to describe beauty products that use naturally-derived ingredients in their formulas. ‘All-natural’ refers to these ingredients that have been naturally-derived (not man-made, that is). These are the standard definitions, but it is important to include that true green beauty products should have a commitment to be less harmful to people’s health and the environment.

Just by making a few changes in your everyday beauty routine, you can positively affect the health of yourself and the health of the planet!

So, where do you start? First, it is important to realize what to avoid in beauty products. Unnecessary harsh chemicals are the obvious no-go. While some chemicals are later added for the sake of preservation, harsh alcohols and things like parabens should be avoided. Focus on products that contain natural ingredients. Not only are they better for you (especially for sensitive skin) but they are great for the environment!

The less eco-friendly of the beauty industry are some of the biggest culprits of toxic buildup, aka when your body absorbs toxic chemicals commonly found in common beauty products. When your body comes into contact with these foreign materials, it doesn’t know what to do, and it ends up absorbing it, thus putting a strain on your body by circulating these harsh chemicals.

Reaching for the products containing some of the harsher chemicals that end up down the drain is never recommended. Instead of using environmentally damaging beauty products, try some that guarantee natural ingredients. For instance, Garnier Fructis’ hair treats are formulated with 98% natural ingredients, including super fruits like banana, coconut, papaya, and avocado. In addition, their rose water, which is hydrating and refreshing, is made from 99% naturally derived ingredients! Inexpensive yet environmentally conscious products like these are always a win-win.

Additionally, pay attention to how these products are packaged. Is it coated in layers of plastic? If so, it isn’t as green as it says it is! Opt for products that have recyclable packaging. Garnier is committed to reducing the environmental impact of their packaging. By using a brand like them, you’ll be doing the planet a favor!

Some other things worth looking into are: sustainable sourcing of ingredients, biodegradable formulas, and products that support vulnerable communities. I strongly recommend doing your own research before heading to the beauty aisle, to ensure that you buy products that work for you and the planet!

It can seem difficult to find green beauty products that strive for these things while still remaining fairly low-cost, but it is actually easier than it seems! You can easily green your back-to-school routine with these easy tips and products.

Beauty Responsibly!

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen